~46~

Alyx's POV

After we finished dinner, Mom dismissed us from the kitchen to let her clean up, so I lead Amaya back to the living room. I want to ask her about the phone calls, but I don't want to upset her. I can't help but wonder who it was, though. I couldn't see the name. I could tell it wasn't just a number, so it's somebody saved in her phone. Could it have possibly been Jason? I don't see why he'd be calling her since she ended things. She looked nervous, though. I doubt she'd be nervous if it was Jason. Maybe it was her uncle? Or father? I don't know, and I really want to.

"Your mom is a great cook. The food was amazing," Amaya says with a smile.

"Yeah. She doesn't cook often, but when she does, it's always incredible." I sigh and prepare for what I'm about to say next. "Do you have somewhere you need to be?

"No. Why?"

"Just... that call earlier."

"It was nobody," she quickly responds.

"They sure called a lot," I mumble. She furrows her brows at me. "I seen it ringing in your lap."

"It was nobody," she repeats.

"Was it Jason?"

Her eyes narrow. "Really, Alyx? No, it wasn't. I've only spoken to Jason one time since my party, and that was just him looking for some pot," she whispers.

"Did you get him some?"

Her eyes flicker side to side. "Yeah, but it's not a big deal."

"Oh." It's not really, but I feel... jealous? I don't like that she went to see him again. I hope it was just a quick exchange, and they didn't talk for a while or anything.

"It was really for Gavin. Jason was just picking it up for him. Gavin's... going through some shit right now, and Jason, of course, guilt tripped me into getting him some. That's all there is to it."

"Oh." He's such an asshole. "Then was it your uncle?"

"No. It wasn't important, that's why I didn't answer it. Please don't worry about it."

"It was your dad, wasn't it?" I whisper, preparing for her reaction.

Her jaw snaps shut, and her face pales. "Drop it."

"Okay." I'm going to take that as a 'yes'. "If you need to leave, you can."

"Is that your polite way of kicking me out?" she asks, with one eyebrow raised.

"I'm not kicking you out, but I don't want you getting in any trouble."

"I won't, Alyx. Please just let it go."

I agree, but there's no way I'm just letting it go. And I don't want her to leave. If I could keep her here, I would. In a non-creepy way. I'm actually kind of scared for her. I believe it was her uncle or father. And her uncle has put his hands on her before. So, there is no telling what he would do to her for ignoring his call. If it was him. She looked so worried during dinner, too. I don't know if she didn't answer because she didn't want to be rude, or if she didn't want to because she knew it would ruin her mood.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" she asks.

"Sure." We sit back on the couch, and I turn the TV from the cartoon channel Connor was watching earlier to a random movie. Halfway through it, I feel myself getting groggy, and my eyes shut.

I feel something touch my arm. I sit up straight and see Amaya's hand touching me. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I need to go."

"Oh. Alright." Sadness starts to rush through me. I really don't want her to go. We stand, and I walk her to the door. She opens it and turns to face me.