~44~

Alyx's POV

I follow behind her all the way to the kitchen. When we reach it, she props her elbows up on the counter and hides her face in her hands. She lifts her head up to look at me, showing me her flushed cheeks. When we make eye contact, she buries her face back in her hands. An adorable groan leaves her lips; I can't help but smile.

"Why do kids always have to ask so much?" she whispers. An accidental laugh escapes my mouth. Her head shoots up, and her wide eyes land on me. "Don't laugh at me!" She playfully shoves my arm. "He just put me on the spot and kept on attacking me with questions. And you didn't help at all. Why would you tell him that?" Her eyes drop down to the counter. "You know I don't think you're ugly. I've told you multiple times how attractive you are."

"I know you don't." I suck my lower lip in between my teeth, biting down on it. I guess I'll just say it. "But you did kind of start it. He wouldn't have kept on if you didn't tell him I liked you."

"You're right. I just wanted to fuck with you some, and it backfired on me." She glances over at me and lowers her voice before saying, "You know I told you I would think about it." I'm guessing 'it' is referring to a relationship with me. "It's not that easy on my part. I actually know the risks that are involved. I just need to think it through more."

"Okay." I slowly reach my hand out to grab hers. My fingers gently touch hers before I grip her hand. If it's even possible, her cheeks get even more red. Why is she so flushed? The most I usually ever see is a faint pink in her cheeks. "Could I take you out on a date?" Her eyes widen. Okay, that kind of slipped out on accident. Ignore the heat in your cheeks. Just roll with it now. "I could possibly influence your decision-making and show you why you should be... my girlfriend." I blush and internally roll my eyes. Let's show her what a catch I am. All I'm going to do is show her how much of a bad time someone can have with another person.

"I'll have to think about that, too." I furrow my brows at that. Ouch. Rejected again. She pouts her lips, saying, "Don't look so sad." She takes a deep breath before asking, "What would we do on this date?"

"Oh, uh... Well, I'd need a little time to think and plan something," I say, rubbing the back of my neck. "What would you like to do?"

"This is all really sweet, but you don't have to do that, Alyx."

"But I want to." I intertwine our fingers. "I've always wanted to take you somewhere on a date." She tightens her grip on my hand. "You keep on looking for reasons not to be with me. I want to try and show you some reasons on why you should. Could I at least do that?"

"O-okay." Now she's stuttering. She's acting a little strange. I know Connor kind of put us in an awkward situation, but she's never this... shy? Nervous? I'm not even sure. Is she sick? She's usually always so confident and brushes off uncomfortable situations. Wait... Holy shit! Did she say 'okay'?!

"Thanks. I'm glad I can." Now I'll have to come up with something worthy of her presence. She's too good for anything simple.

"And it's not that I'm looking for reasons not to," she mumbles.

"Well, I'm sure it's not that hard. I feel like I haven't really done anything for you to like me. I've done nothing to impress you." I don't know what there is she likes about me, but I'm really happy she does. I still can't believe or understand why she even talks to me every day. It still feels weird to me. To me, she's a queen, and I'm a peasant. But this peasant wants to show her I could be a king. For her. Her king. Geez... She makes me so cringey sometimes. I don't really care, though.

"I want to put more effort in to help influence your decision," I tell her.

"It doesn't take much at all. It's very easy. I don't know why you think you need to do more." She steps forward and lays her other hand on my forearm, sliding it up to my bicep. "Just keep doing what you're doing."