~57~

Alyx's POV

Breakfast flies by without any awkward moments or embarrassing questions. Mom's food was awesome, as usual. After we put our dishes in the sink, I excuse us to the living room again.

"Ugh, I'm so full," Amaya groans.

"Me, too."

She plops down on the couch and lays her hand on her slightly bloated stomach. I can't help letting a small laugh out.

"Don't laugh!" she exclaims, sitting up. She looks so cute in her black leggings and gray T-shirt. We're kind of matching again with my black top and gray sweats.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to."

"Yeah, I'm sure," she says, sarcastically. "Sit." She taps the spot beside her.

I oblige and plant myself beside her, not really leaving any distance. I've changed so much. Near the beginning, I would have left plenty of space between us. Enough for at least two people.

She grabs my hand and begins playing with my fingers. "I can't wait for our date."

"Me, either." She'll finally be my girlfriend. A little tingle courses through the finger she's caressing. I really like when she touches me. She makes my body heat up wherever she touches. I clear my throat and shift in my seat.

Her eyes shoot up to mine. "Sorry," she mumbles, dropping her hand.

"It's okay."

My mom steps into view, wiping her wet hands with a dish towel. "So, what are you two doing?"

"We're just talking," I assure her.

"I'm going to go use your bathroom, okay?" Amaya says to me, touching my forearm.

"Okay." She stands to her feet and exits the room.

"So, are you going to take her out again?" Mom whispers.

"Could I burrow the car again?" I ask, hopeful.

She looks like she's contemplating it. "Sure."

I sigh with relief. "Awesome. Thanks, Mom."

"You're welcome."

An idea pops into my head. "Hey, are you going to be home for Thanksgiving?"

"Thanksgiving? Oh, yeah. It's coming up, isn't it?" I give her a nod. She sighs and says, "You know I'm not sure. I never know when work's going to call."

I sigh. It really sucks that the two women in my life have to leave whenever requested. "I was wanting to invite, Amaya. She might not be able to come, but I was just wanting to be nice."

"Well, you know I'm fine with you inviting her. I'll try my best to be here. I'm sorry that I had leave in the middle of it last year. I still feel bad about it."

"Don't. It's okay."

"I love you."

"I love you, too." Amaya returns to the room as soon as I get the words out. She smiles at my mom and takes a seat by me on the couch.

My mom returns the smile. "Okay. I'm going to go wash these dishes." She disappears back into the kitchen, leaving us alone.

I turn and look at Amaya. I open my mouth to invite her to Thanksgiving dinner, but she's already speaking. "I've got to go. I was summoned while I was in the bathroom." I can feel the sadness taking over. I'm not ready for her to leave.

"Really? This early? It's not even noon, yet."

"People do drugs in the morning, too, Alyx."

"Are you coming back?" I whisper.