~64~

Amaya's outfit^

Alyx's POV

The rain died off about an hour into the trip. Thankfully. I can actually drive the speed limit the rest of the way. It's already eight thirty, and we still have another half hour drive left. Amaya dozed off ten minutes ago after she couldn't find anything good on the radio. I'm glad she set the GPS up on my mom's monitor before passing out, or I'd be lost right now.

I glance over to her. Why did she get us a room at the Sin Clair? That had to be expensive. I'm definitely paying her back. I made over two hundred dollars babysitting Connor this week. And I had a little cash left over after our date. Hotels are usually between a hundred to two hundred a night, right? I could pay her back.

I would like to take her to dinner, too. I check the time to see if we'd have time to eat. It's a little after nine o'clock now. I guess we could, depending on how late the restaurant stays open.

I know I've reached the city when every single street is lit up. I see why they're called 'city lights'; it's almost too bright. I notice a billboard advertising a restaurant called 'Recardo's Cuisine'. 'Open 'til midnight!' is written in huge, bold letters. A plate of pasta with some breadsticks and a grilled steak with a baked potato cover the background of the billboard. Oh my god. That pasta looks incredible.

My stomach grumbles. I'm actually pretty hungry. I haven't eaten since lunch. I bet she's hungry, too.

I stop at a red light and reach over, gently grasping her shoulder. I give her a small nudge. She stirs and opens her eyes, sitting up abruptly. "Woah, it's okay," I assure her.

"I didn't mean to fall asleep. Did we make it?"

"We're almost there, but I was going to see if you wanted to get some dinner first."

"Are you hungry?"

"Kind of," I admit with a sheepish grin. "Are you?"

A small rumble from her stomach answers me. She lets a little laugh out. "I could eat. What do you want?"

I point to the billboard that is still in view. "Do you want to try that? I thought it looked good."

She turns her head and looks in the direction my finger is pointing to. "Oh my god. That pasta looks incredible."

I let a laugh out. I had the exact same thought. "Yeah, it does. So, want to go?"

"Hell yes."

The light turns green, so I ask Amaya to type in the restaurant name in the GPS. Six minutes away. With the traffic, it took ten. I tried to keep my anxiety at bay, but I've never driven with this many cars around me. I really don't need to get in wreck, either. Not all the way out here with Amaya. I'll be in more trouble than I can imagine. I can kiss the car goodbye for sure. Kiss Amaya goodbye. Ugh. Just concentrate, Alyx.

A car swerves in front of me, and I slam my brakes, causing Amaya to slightly jerk forward. "I'm sorry," I tell her.

"It's okay. He was stupid as fuck for that. He's probably not watching the road."

I nod in agreement. I turn down the one way street and parallel park. Thankfully, there aren't many people here this late at night that I was able to easily pull in the spot.

I undo my seatbelt and turn the engine off, pulling the key out. "Ready to eat?" She gives me an eager nod.

We climb out, and I lock the doors behind me. I don't want our stuff to get stolen while we're eating. I hold the restaurant door open for Amaya. Once we're inside, we get hit with the most delicious aromas I've ever smelt. A waiter walks by carrying a plate of hot, sizzling food. The scent travels into my nose, causing my mouth to water. If I wasn't hungry before, I am now. I glance down to Amaya to see her smiling up at me.