~7~

Alyx's POV

My mom was actually able to drop me off this morning. She told me it's to make up for rubbing her feet last night. After I get out, I head to the parking lot to find Wes. He sits in his car sometimes when he gets breakfast from McDonald's. I knock on the passenger window, and he unlocks the doors. I hop in, and he hands me a biscuit.

"I got too much," he says, shrugging. I thank him and start munching on it.

I look over to see if Amaya was coming today. I don't see Jason's car, but I do see her climbing out of a silver car. I've seen her drive it a few times before. Barely. She always rides with Jason or one of her girl friends. I wonder who it belongs to. I don't know if she owns it or if it's her parents. I'm assuming the latter since she rarely drives it.

I check my phone and see the bell's about to ring. I grab my backpack and pull it onto my shoulder. I pick up my garbage from breakfast to throw away inside and head to first period with Wes.

The day goes by pretty quickly. Wes and I decide to sit in the cafeteria today for lunch. I didn't want to embarrass myself again. Sixth period rolls around, and I have to prepare myself for it. I've never been so nervous to go into a classroom. I walk in to see she's already in her seat. I must have taken longer at my locker than I thought.

As soon as I sit down, the late bell rings. Mr. Todd begins talking about The Great Depression when I feel a buzz in my pocket. I look to make sure he isn't going to turn away from the whiteboard and fetch out my phone. It's a text from Amaya.

'Hey.' It reads.

I text her back. 'Hi.'

'We're hanging out today. Meet me in the parking lot after school.'

What! No! I mean yes! I'm not prepared for this, though. That's one class away. I need like a week in advance! I feel another vibration and look down.

'Is that cool? If not, we could another time.'

Damn. I was thinking too long and hard. I can't. I'll just tell her I can't today. But what if there isn't another time? I wouldn't have the guts to ask her myself. Then, she might think I don't want to ever!

'Okay.'

Sent. What the hell did I do?! I don't know if I can actually do this. I drop my phone in my lap and prop my elbow up, laying my face in my hand. I can handle this. I can. I have faith in myself. Not a lot but some. I think.

She doesn't reply, and I can't even focus on Mr. Todd's lesson. I'm too freaked about later. What are we even going to do?

I deal with my last class of the day which is Chemistry. I still can't think straight. Who's all going to be there? Where are we going? What are we going to do? My anxiety can't handle this! I ask to go to the bathroom right before the last bell, and Mrs. Hudson allows it.

"You can go ahead and take your things in case the bell rings before your back," she tells me.

I grab my stuff and stop by my locker and put all of it in there. There's no homework tonight, and I don't want to have to carry it around while I'm with Amaya. I use the bathroom and look in the mirror after washing my hands. I splash water on my face and rinse my mouth out. I wish I had some toothpaste. What the hell am I even doing? It's not like she's even going to be close enough to smell my breath but still.

I look back up and stare at myself. Why can't I look better? I've never even had a girlfriend. Not even a childhood girlfriend. I don't exactly think I'm ugly, but no one wants me. No one ever has. I try to calm down and push my hair back out of my face. I wish I didn't bring myself down so much. I sit there in self-pity, waiting for the bell.

When it finally rings, I tense up so much that my body hurts. I try to slowly breathe. I got this. I do. I think.

I walk out into the hall, and it's already crowding with people. I don't see Amaya, yet. I step through the doors and head towards where their group usually parks. Just steady breaths. Let her talk first and follow her conversation. Just act like you don't have a major crush on her. That should work.

I look up from my feet, and I see her leaning against that car from this morning on her phone. I bet she has lots of contacts. I have four: Mom, her boss, Wes, and the pizza place we call for delivery. Five now including her. Loser with a capital L. I don't see Jason's or Lexi's car. I stop in front of her, and she looks up and smiles.

"Hey! I was just about to text you," she says. She sounds so cheery. Is she excited to hang out with me? Yeah, I doubt that.

"Hey." I barely say it loud enough to hear. You're supposed to act natural, Alyx. Speak up!

"You ready?" I nod, and she smiles before looking back at Elaine. "I'll see you later."

"Okay. Text me when you're on the way, and I'll order us something to eat," Elaine tells her, opening her car door.

"Okay, thanks." She turns back to me, that same smile returning. "Well, c'mon. Hop in." She laughs and walks to her side of the vehicle.

I open the door and climb in. Now, just make conversation. And don't think about how close she is. Or how I'm being enclosed in her scent. It smells really good in here.

"Is this your car?" I ask, louder this time. It's pretty sleek. Tan interior with a large screen on the dash. Lots of controls on the steering wheel. And did I mention? It smells really, really good in here.

"Yeah."

"It's nice."

"Thanks. I barely ever drive it to school. Jace always wants me to ride with him," she says, rolling her eyes. "Or I'll ride with Elaine. But I felt like driving today."

"Oh." We both buckle up, and she cranks it, backing out of the spot.

"Are you not wondering where we're going? Usually, most people ask that before they get in a car with a stranger," she says and giggles.

"Yeah. I am." I've kind of been nervous about that for a little while.

"You don't have to worry. You're with me. It'll be fun," she says and speeds up once we're out of the school lot.

A/N- I wonder where they're going... No seriously, I have no idea where they're going but trust me I will figure it out haha. Please vote and comment!