~29~

Alyx's POV

I wake up being blinded by the sun seeping through the curtains. I sit up on the couch and see my mom sitting at the counter. Shit. Where's Amaya? I get up and hurry to the stairs.

"Why are you in such a rush?" Mom asks.

"I got to use the bathroom," I lie. I jog up the steps and open my door to see my room empty. Where is she? I gently knock before opening the bathroom. Empty, too. What the hell?

I grab my phone from my pocket. Damn, it's almost eleven. I see a text from her that she sent an hour ago.

'I left early this morning. Sorry for coming over and crashing in your bed. Thanks for not kicking me out.'

'I wouldn't do that to you.' I reply.

She texts back almost instantly. 'Thanks. Even though I probably deserve it.'

'Where did you go?' I ask her. I know it's not my business, but I still want to know.

'Elaine's. Why? You miss me? I figured you needed me gone before your mom got home, so I left around 5 this morning.' I do miss her, but I definitely can't tell her that.

'I was just wondering.'

'Oh, so you don't miss me?' Is this flirting? Is she flirting with me?

'Do you miss me?' I ask. Damn. I tried to avoid answering the question and asked a more awkward one. Why would she miss me?

'Of course. You looked so cute sleeping on the couch when I snuck out. I almost didn't want to leave.'

I blush at her answer. She looked at me sleeping? Shit. I hope I didn't have a boner in my sleep; it does happen sometimes. That would be so embarrassing.

She sends another. 'I'm having a birthday party tonight. I want you to be there.'

'Okay. I'll come.' I send.

Anxiety hits me like a freight train. A party. What kind of party? A party like last time where there's only four people? Or one of those parties you see in movies? I couldn't turn her invitation down. Not for her birthday party.

She tells me to be ready at eight and that she can't pick me up but Kayson could. At least it's Kayson. He seems like the nicest.

The day goes by quickly, and before I notice, it's already dark outside. My mom left earlier for work. I told her I wasn't going anywhere tonight. At seven, I take a quick shower. I towel dry my hair and brush my teeth. I pull a pair of black jeans on once I get back to my room. I go to my closet and pull out a black V-neck shirt.

Before I put it on, I look down and grimace. The right side of my torso from my ribs to my hipbone is covered in bruises. Maybe I can make it through the night; it does hurt taking deep breaths.

My phone buzzes; it's some random number.

'Hey, it's Kayson. I'm here.'

I tell him I'm coming out. I throw the shirt over my head and grab a blue flannel to throw over it. I slide my shoes on and hurry downstairs, locking the door behind me.

I climb up in his truck and buckle the seat belt. I give him a small smile. "Hey. Thanks for the ride."

"No problem," he says, pulling off. "What's up, man? You and Maya cool now?"

"Uh, yeah. I mean, I guess so. We talked a little last night."

"Hmm, she wouldn't talk to any of us last night. She apparently bailed on Jason yesterday. Was she with you?"