~61~

Alyx's POV

I hurry off and slip into my first class. I take a seat at my desk and try to control my fiery cheeks. I really, really like that she did that in front of everyone, but also, why did she? It's confusing because it made me happy, but she should have known that was also going to embarrass me. Did she not notice everyone looking? Maybe she did, and she wanted to add fuel to the fire.

Also, she called me 'babe'! That's the second time she's called me something like that. Does she want to start using pet names? Am I supposed to call her something now? Does she want me to? Maybe her using them for me is a hint she wants me to start using them for her. Or maybe, I'm thinking too far into this. We're a couple now; I could just ask her. Communication is supposed to be key, so I'm just going to ask her.

I look up and see we're in the middle of a lecture. When did we start? Quit worrying about calling your girlfriend 'babe' and focus. I jot down a few notes and attempt to concentrate throughout the rest of the day.

Lunch flies by smoothly. Amaya sat with Wes and I. Elaine and Kayson came and joined us, shortly after. Sixth and seventh period also goes by in a blur. I gather my stuff and slip out of the classroom when the last bell rings. I text Amaya, asking where she wants to meet at.

'By your car.' I send an 'okay' and head in that direction. I notice Amaya propped up against Elaine's car talking to her. Her head is thrown back in laughter. She's so beautiful. How did I get so lucky?

When she sees me, she smiles and says something to Elaine. I wonder what she's saying. She jogs over and approaches me.

"Hey."

"Hey. You ready to go pick Connor up?" I ask.

"I'm just going to ride back with Elaine. She's needing help with an English paper."

"Oh, okay," I say, trying not to sound disappointed.

"Plus, it'll save you the trip." I don't care about that. This girl really doesn't know I'd travel across the world for her. I just wanted to be with her a little longer. "I'll see you in the morning?" she asks.

"Yeah."

"Okay, tell Connor I said 'hi'." I give her a nod. "I'll see you tomorrow. Bye."

"Bye." She gives me a small wave before walking back over to Elaine. I climb in my car and let a sigh out. Time to go get Connor.

I pull up in the line of cars waiting for their children to get in. I hope Connor knows it's me picking him up. Surely, my mom or Rachel explained the plan to him.

I jump at the sound of a knock on the window. A lady in a yellow safety vest is standing there with an impatient look, holding a clipboard and a megaphone. I roll the window down to see what she wants.

"Who are you picking up? I don't recognize you."

"Oh, uh, Connor Welps. His mom, Rachel, asked me to get him this week."

She looks down at the clipboard before responding, "Ah, yes, I see. Alright." She steps away from me before lifting the megaphone up to her mouth. "Connor Welps!" I see the little guy running towards us with his lunchbox in his hand.

He pulls the back door open and climbs in, setting his backpack and lunchbox down beside him. He grabs the seatbelt and clicks it, securing himself in the seat.

"Hey," I say, looking in the rear view mirror.

He looks up and makes eye contact with me through the mirror. "Hi. Thanks for picking me up."

"It's no problem." I put my foot on the pedal and pull out of the parking lot. Just try to make some small talk, Alyx. "So, how was school?"

"Okay."