Chapter 49

Aadhi was going to place Kumkum on Sakthi's forehead which would conclude the ritual. Both Sakthi and Aadhi were living the best moment of their lives and were too lost in their dream world to notice that Vijay had slipped away.

Vijay was glad that Athreya did not pull any stunt during the ceremony but it also caused an unsettling feeling. He saw that Athreya moved away from the venue right after the marraige which looked more skeptical. He followed Athreya and spotted him at the garden where he was talking to someone over a phone call. It seemed very casual which irked him more.

Why did he not stop the marriage when he was just a few feet away? Why was here? What was he up-to? Was he completely wrong about Athreya?

A whirlwind of questions was messing with his head and made him dizzy. He had a strong intuition that Athreya had something to do with all of this if not all. Their only lead Vishnu was also now missing. He could not think straight given the tangled mess they were in right now.

He jerked when a sudden pat on his shoulder brought him to back to reality. He turned around with caution and sighed in relief to see Sathya next to him. In the past week the best thing that happened was his friendship with Sathya. There was so much ease, comfort and trust between them.

Sathya: What's up? Why are you here?

Vijay was contemplating if he should share his unease about Athreya. He was convinced that he could not possibly solve this issue on his own and needed Sathya's support to end this hide and seek. Confiding wasn't a question but he still wasn't sure about the next step from there.

Finally, he chose to take a leap of faith without over thinking it.

Vijay: I have doubts about Athreya.

Sathya stood in shock at the statement. Perplexed and puzzled by this sudden confession, he stood there processing what just happened.

Athreya wasn't just another friend. He was as close as Aadhi or even more. They had been childhood buddies and continued to remain closest of friends through the years. Athreya was  also a huge investor in his business and when it came to family, he was like his own brother.

But Sathya understood why Vijay had questions and rightfully so. He was in all the wrong places that had access to creating such a havoc but Sathya trusted Athreya more than these plausible explanations.

Sathya: Take my word for it. He has nothing to do with any of it.

Vijay: I can see why you feel that way. But hear me out. Maybe he wasn't the one who created these issues but I somehow think he is connected to it more than what we know.

Sathya: Let's talk about it later. For now, I want you to just believe me.

Vijay nodded in agreement. This wasn't the right time or place to cause a scene. He had to wait to figure this out. Whatever happens, he was going to be with Aadhi, Sakthi and Sathya to protect them.

The two buddies went back into the hall and Athreya who was acting to be on the call was well aware of the suspicions on him.

How was he going to tell his best friend that a singular mistake of being there for Sakthi that unfortunate night was coming back to haunt him?

Even in wildest nightmares he did not anticipate that him helping and saving Sakthi on that terrible night would come back after years and turn his life upside down.

He had received a pen drive with all the complete songs that he recorded for upcoming Vijay's movie that was yet to be released. If that ever got leaked, his career as a music director would come to be ruined. It was the highest budget movie yet and they had only shot songs as of now. The release wasn't until a year later.