chapter 26- white rat

It's been weeks since they've parted ways with osha and rickon, bran missed them both, just as much as valeria does

It's been weeks since they've parted ways with osha and rickon, bran missed them both, just as much as valeria does. She wished their safety each night.

"A castle!" Meera's excited voice said as soon as she saw the castle ahead.

Valeria's eyes looked up the castle she pointed to. Her heart almost dropped as she recognized the place.

She gulps as she looks at her companions, eyes meeting jojen's. His eyes narrowed at her as if knowing that she's hiding something.

"I'll go check if it's empty." Meera said with a smile.

Valeria, hoping the latches of the secret pathways were hidden, smiled at meera as she bid her goodluck.

I hope the well is gone by now. She thought to herself as they start to head closer to the castle.

"Are you tired?"

Valeria looked down at bran, immediately smiling as she shook her head no. "I'll be alright. You all should go ahead, it'll be harder to find greenery as we go, I should forage as much as i can" she explained.

He smiled thankfully at her, she gave him a kiss on his cheeks before she headed ahead of them to hopefully find all the herbs she needs.

She especially needed one that would help if someone where to catch a cold when they go further north.

________

"Hodor!"

Valeria chuckles hearing Hodor's voice echo through the well. Unfortunately for her it was still intact.

It's a passage way to outside the wall. She would know, she was the one who designed it.

"Maybe we shouldn't have stayed here" bran suddenly piped up, making valeria turn to him with raised eyebrows.

"You'd rather be out there?" Meera amusingly asked.

Valeria chuckles after seeing the uneasiness from his face. "Does the stories you forced old nan to tell us scare you now that you're here?" She teased him.

He rolled his eyes at her. "I used to like those horrible stories" he mumbled.

"I like the horrible" jojen weirdly piped up.

Jojen sat down beside valeria, near the fire.

"Have you ever heard of the rat cook?" Bran suddenly said.

Valeria already had. She zoned out but she chuckled at the familiarness of that story. Remembering how she held onto bran as old nan tried to scare them, rickon hiding under the covers and arya laughing when old nan said that the king ate the pie that had his son and asked for seconds.

Meera seemed to scoff at the story "If the gods turned all killers into white rats—"

"That's not the reason why the gods punished him." Valeria interjected as she stared at the fire.

Her eyes met meera's, "he killed someone under his roof" she mumbled.

"And that's something the gods can never forgive" bran mumbled.

There was silence, a comfortable one as they all tried to warm themselves with the fire.

Valeria's eyes stared at it. Hands reached out to feel it's warmth. Her pale but rosy hand felt warmer as she drew closer to the flames—

"Woah there" jojen suddenly said immediately grabbing her hand.

He kind of freaked out when he noticed, eyes darting to bran's dazed eyes.

Valeria snapped from her trance, "it's alright" she mumbled before reaching her hand out to the flame.

"Oh right. Targaryen" he mumbled.
--------------------------------------------------

bran's sudden gasps woke valeria "what is it? are you ok?" she immediately whispered, checking up on him as she laid beside him on the floor.

bran immediately clasped his hand on her mouth making her flinch, he turned to the well and through the silence valeria finally heard it. heavy, ragged breathing. it sounded like a monster was coming out from the well.

it made them nervous. bran whisper-yelled hodor's name immediately waking the giant and meera who was sleeping beside him. Summer turned around the corner, growling at the well.

the pants grew louder, echoing through the well, valeria attempted to stand up so she can place herself between the well and bran, but bran already held her in place. "let go, i have to protect you" she whispered frustratingly.

"let hodor do it, you might get hurt" he worriedly said making her sigh.

they both turn to the well seeing a large figure emerge and drop onto the floor making them flinch in surprise.

meera, in her andrenalined state let out a war cry immediately attacking the monster, placing her knife against his neck. the monster- a man rather, screamed in fright. " meera wait!" valeria interjected after seeing it was actually a person.

and judging by his clothe and hair, he was definitely not a widling.

"sam? SAM!" they heard as a girl emerged from the well, a baby held in her arms.

"who are you?!" meera shouted at them "Gilly! please dont hurt us!" She answered.

valeria felt guilty scaring the girl. "we won't" she immediately said with a soft smile.

hodor immediately sat bran up with valeria helping by his side. "where are you going?" jojen suspiciously asked.

they can't have anyone following them now, or reporting their alive.

the man, sam immediately answered " to castle black, im a brother of the night's watch"

valeria saw bran's eyes lit up, "my brother! he's in-"

jojen immediately shushed him, not wanting to out his identity.

"who's your brother?" sam asked

"doesn't matter" valeria warily said.

meera and jojen  stepped closely to bran whilst valeria opted to stay beside him, bow and arrow on one hand.

sam's eyes looked at valeria's, dual colored eyes shimmering under the moonlight that peeked through the wooden ceiling, and then her pale white hair , his eyes lit up in realization as it then traveled to her hands that subtly tried to cover bran's legs with a fur blanket. and to top it off, summer caught his attention.

bran seemed nervous as he met sam's eyes.

"you're jon's brother! the one who fell from the window"

"no he's/ i'm not" valeria and bran immediately denied only to make sam chuckle.

"i've been around snow enough to know a direwolf when i see one" he sheepishly said with his smile. "jon talked about you two enough, and i'm pretty sure you're the only person with a dual colored eyed fiance-"

"she's my wife" bran immediately cut him off.

His words made valeria cough as she blushed but this made jojen and meera face palm knowing that sam had now confirmed their identity.

he chuckled at this before nodding. "i would have been dead if it wasn't for jon. if you're his brother, you're my brother too, and i'll do anything to help" he seriously said.

this made valeria smile, knowing jon had talked about them. he must've missed them too. but she grew nervous knowing he might tell bran where the passage way is.

Bran smiles at his words.

"Take us north of the wall"