45 - Family

Leah's POV

Jennifer rang the bell and her sister Lynda opened.

„Hi you guys, good to see you!" She pulled Jennifer into an embrace and when they dissolved, Jennifer introduced me.

„This is Lynda, my sister. Lynda, this is Leah."

„Nice to meet you.", I said and got pulled into an embrace too.
„Oh!", I said surprised and chuckled.
„Good to finally meet you!", Lynda said to me.
„Come on in!", she said and walked inside.

I got introduced to other family members such as Tiana and Leslie until we walked over to her mom. My heartbeat was kinda up because it's her mom and I wanted to make a good impression.

Jennifer took my hand in hers and squeezed it.

„Mom!", she shouted a little to get Lupe's attention.
Lupe turned to see us.
„Jennifer!", she dance-walked over to Jennifer and they hugged while circling around.
„Mom! Mom! Enough." They broke the hug.
„Mom, this is Leah, I told you about her."
„Hello Miss Lopez, it's so nice to meet you.", I said, totally not sounding like myself, but I wanted to make the best impression. I stretched my arm and held my hand out for her to take.

She raised a brow at me and my heart dropped. I've done something wrong, she hates me.

Lupe took my hand and pulled me into her arms.
„Ohh, so good to finally meet ya! Jennifer's gushing about you everytime I speak to her."
„Ma!"
I chuckled as we let go of each other. „She is?"
I flashed a smile towards Jennifer.

„Oh! Happy Birthday!", I totally forgot that over everything else. „Here." I handed her the box I had put the bracelet in.

She opened up and took the bracelet out.
„Wow, you did that?"
I nodded. „Thank you so much, but you really didn't have to!"
„I wanted to." Lupe hugged me again, then someone I don't know pulled her out of the conversation.

Jennifer came closer, standing next to me. „See? I told you they'll love you."
I gulped because I felt so touched of the warm welcome I received from everybody.

„Baby?", she said, came up in front of me and put her palm on my cheek.
„It's just... it's so nice. A big happy family... You know."
„Oh baby." She pulled me into a firm, comforting embrace and rubbed my back slowly.

„We're not always THAT happy.", Jennifer said in a funny voice. She made me chuckle and I pecked her lips quickly after we ended our hug.

„Jennifer!", I heard a male voice and recognized her father, which I honestly didn't expect to be here.
„Dad, hii!", they hugged and he eyed me up and down while I smiled shyly.

„Hello Mr. Lopez, nice to meet you."
I held out my hand for him to reach.
He looked at me for what felt like an eternity.
„Hello.", he said and finally shook my hand.
„I'm Leah... Remini."
„Oh I know.", he said and let go of my hand.
„See you around then.", he continued and walked away from us.

„Dad...", Jennifer called after him. She looked disappointed and so was I. I don't want her to get into any kind of trouble with her family because of me. My hand reached for hers and she turned to face me.
„I'm sorry...", she said „He'll come around."
„No I'm sorry, I don't want you to..."
Jennifer put her index finger on my lip and shook her head no to shut me up.

Then she removed her finger and wrapped her arms around my waist, pulled me closer and kissed me softly. My heartbeat went faster.
„What was that for?", I asked her after we broke the kiss. „For being you.", she smiled at me.

We never talked to her dad again at the party. Maybe it's best to give him time we thought.
Jennifer doesn't seem too worried about it, I guess she knows they'll probably talk about it another time. The party went on, Lupe and everybody else, including us, had a great time. It really felt like family to me.

After a few hours, we drove home again.
We were sitting in the back and I rested my head on Jennifer's shoulder. She kissed me on top of my head. „You had fun?"
„I did. Everybody's so nice. I really like your family."
„They like you too.", she replied and kissed my head again.

Jennifer unlocked the door to her apartment while I was hugging her from behind. When she walked inside I let go of her to close the door behind me and switch the light on.

„LEAH!", I heard her shrill voice in absolute panic, followed by heartbreaking whimpers. The sound of her voice went through every bone in my body and I turned around fast to see what's going on.
No! I couldn't believe my eyes.