Nine

~Trapped~

"So, you threatened to throw him out the fire truck?" Hunter asked through the phone as Kat layed on the couch

"Well, yeah. But he was teasing me so..." Kat answered. "So how's Brooklyn?"

"Yeah, good. Haven't threatened to throw anyone out of fire trucks"

"Haha, very funny" Kat said sarcastically.

"Who you talking to?" Buck asked her, walking up the stairs.

"My brother" She answered lamely, he looked at her confused.

"Wait, there's another one of you" Kat rolled her eyes. "Is he as annoying as you?"

"Shut up, Evan"Kat hissed, he scoffed.

"Who's that?"

"An asshole"

"Language!" Bobby yelled from the kitchen.

"What are? Captain America?" Kat questioned, sitting up. Before Bobby could answer the bell rang. "I gotta go, bye Hunter" and she hung up.

...

"What's this dude's problem?" Hen asked. Buck closely followed the garbage truck but it still didn't pull over.

"Seriously? He doesn't hear us?" Kat asked them.

"We're gonna have to get in front of him" Bobby ordered.

"Okay" Buck listened and pulled in front of the truck making it finally stop.

"What the hell, guys?" The truck driver asked as Kat climbed out the truck.

"You got a guy trapped inside, inside the compactor" Bobby told him.

"That's impossible"

"He dialed 911 from inside" Kat replied.

"No, I mean that's not possible. We haven't picked any garbage up yet" He told them.

"Wait, what?" Buck asked walking over.

"You got the wrong truck, man. She's empty"

"What's going on?" Hen asked.

"It's the wrong truck. Um, thank you. Carry on. Y-you're doing a great job" Buck stuttered and ran back to the engine.

...

"Basement is flooded?" Bobby asked.

"Since this morning" The owner- well I think he was but I'm not sure- said. "Third one this month. Pipes in this place are ancient. Every time the construction guys go near them, they burst"

"And did you replace the elevator cables afterwards? The water corrodes them" Bobby told him.

"We were gonna do that after we took care of the flooding issue. We're gonna have to go in from above"

"Buck and I should just go down with the basket" Katniss suggested.

"I'll get the winch" Chim muttered and walked away.

"I'll lock and tag out the power of the cars. Where's the elevator room?" Bobby asked.

"This way"

...

"Be right there, guys. Watch yourselves. Rope coming in" Buck told the mother and the son in the elevator. And Buck lowered himself in.

"Ok, Bobby" Buck said into the radio.

"All right, we're gonna bring her up" Bobby answered and lifted the mother out the elevator and back to the main floor.

"Uh, hey, uh, Bobby, um, need another harness"

"Coming down"

"Pull it up!" and the son came up.

"We got you, we got you" Kat told him. "Buck!" but Buck didn't come back up. "Buck!" Buck pulled himself up. She sighed of relief.

"Don't ever do that again!" Kat exclaimed hitting him on the shoulder.

"What?"

...

Kat opened the door of the house Athena called her too, surprisingly the door was unlocked. "'Thena?"

"Kat!" Athena yelled from one of the rooms.

"'Thena?"

"Kat! Is that you?"

"What the..." she saw Athena and some guy handcuffed to the bed.

"Kat, um" Before Athena could finish she was cut off Kat by laughing. "Are you done?"

"Athena, I thought...I don't know what the hell I thought. What...you called 911 for this?"

"911 is the only damn number I have memorized. Everything else is in my phone, which is over there with my belt and the key"

"The key! You need the key?" She laughed. "You called me over here to walk across the room to get you the key out of your belt?"

"She wouldn't let me call anyone saved in my phone" The guy spoke up.

"What?" Athena asked. "And have one of your frat boy friends come over here and catch me like this?" She walked over to Athena belt on the floor and grabbed the keys. "You must be out your mind"

"I was never in a frat"

"All right, let me...let me...let me just unlock you, then" Kat stuttered trying to hold in her laughter.

"Uh-uh-uh-uh-uh. Did I ask you to? Just put it right there where I can get to it"

"Seriously?"

"Mm-hmm. We good. You can go"

"Mm! M'kay. Well, damn" and she put the keys on the nightstand.  "Get it, girl. Let me... well, I mean, let me just bring this over here, just in case you wanna get kinky with the Taser" dragging the belt over to the bed.

"Bye, Kat"

"Wait, let me just...I just want to get a selfie..."

"No, no. You really need to go!" She laughed and walked out the room.

...

After nearly getting hit in the face by a bowling ball, now Kat was crawling down a tunnel of newspaper stacks and other random things. Trying not to get cut in half by a saw. "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs" Katniss mumbled to herself.

"What's that, Kat?" Buck asked, she sighed.

"You make me sad, Buck. Very sad" she answered, I reached the clock and then spotted the tripwire and glanced up and saw the saw. "Whoa. Okay, Cecil, I'm at the clock. What now?" Kat asked into her phone.

"Is- is...is it set for midnight?" Cecil asked.

"Copy. it's set to midnight"

"So...move it to 11:11" He told her.

"Copy"

"Turn the clock to ease the tension on the tripwire. Remember, that clock can set off other traps in the house" she moved the hand on the clock guessing a set one of the traps off as a pile of books fell next to her.

"You okay?" Hen asked.

"I'm good. I'm good. Setting the clock to 11:11" Kat called.

"Nice and easy, now. Slowly"

"It's at 11:11!" and the saw stopped. "All clear"

Written:22/01/2023

Published:24/03/2023

Rewritten:16/02/2023

Word Count:936