Forty

~Hold the Line~

"Buck, wake up" Kat told her boyfriend, shaking his shoulder to wake him up, he groaned

"Buck, wake up" Kat told her boyfriend, shaking his shoulder to wake him up, he groaned. "We're here"

"Oh, we are?" He asked, opening the door. "Ooh! What's up with the air?"

"Wildfire, remember? That's why we're here" as the two climbed out the truck.

"I mean the way it feels. Like getting slapped with a wet towel" Buck said.

"It's called humidity" Eddie replied, "Welcome to Texas, Buck"

...

"I'm Deputy Chief De Leon of the San Angelo Fire Department, acting incident commander. For those of you just joining the party, welcome" Kat noticed Buck was staring at one of the firefighters standing a few feet away from them.

"Buck, stop staring" She told him, elbowing him in the arm.

"I'm not staring" He replied.

"You're staring" Eddie cut in and Buck rolled his eyes and looked away.

"I want to introduce my operations section chief, Captain Owen Strand out of Austin"

"The thing we were praying wouldn't happen has happened. The wind has shifted. The fire's now on a collision course with the city of San Angelo. There's a possibility of weather coming in, but we can't rely on it, and we won't. We have one last shot to turn the tide. Here" Captain Strand announced, pointing at the map. "On Copper Ridge. We cut a containment line here, and we can stop this beast in its tracks"

"I know you're exhausted. A lot of you haven't had more than a couple hours' sleep in days. But on behalf of the city of San Angelo and their 120,000 souls, we're gonna get you up on that fire line and you are gonna cut like hell. Good luck, stay safe"

"Buck. Seriously?" Kat asked catching him staring again. "Please don't make me report you to HR"

"No, no, I swear I know her from somewhere. It's killing me" Buck said, Kat rolled her eyes and walked away.

...

"Uh, where have you been?" Buck asked Kat as she walked over to the truck.

"Uh, I took a tour of the medical unit" Kat replied, "Where's Eddie?"

"I don't know. You guys abandoned me" Buck whined, she chuckled, taking her shirt off. "Also, why did we drink these trucks all the way here from LA just to park 'em?"

"Only way up to that fire line is by foot. Trucks go into the motor pool. Commander. De Leon will use them as he sees fit" She told him, putting on her LAFD long sleeve shirt. "That's the way it works, Buck"

"Still, not sure I like the idea of strangers on our rigs"

"No strangers here. Just grunts with shovels" throwing the shovel at him.