Forty-Seven

~First Responders~

"I feel like a burden" Kat grunted, slowly sitting up

"I feel like a burden" Kat grunted, slowly sitting up. "I should be better. The accident was weeks ago"

"The doctor said there would be lingering issues, balance being one of them and you're not a burden, Kat. You got in an accident" Buck told her. "You just gotta be patient"

"I'm not good at that" She mumbled.

Buck sighed, "I got to go. Listen, Bailey's here with you if you need something, ask and don't try to go down the stairs on your own. I don't need you falling. Just get some rest"

"Feels like all I do is rest" She said, Buck kissed her on the cheek and walked down the stairs.

...

"Meds" Buck said, passing Kat a glass of water and her pills. Kat sighed and took them.

"Bailey, can you take me to my therapy session so Buck isn't late for work?" Kat asked.

"Yeah, of course" She replied.

"Hey, you remembered your appointment. That's great" Buck smiled surprised.

"Uh, no, but I can still read" Kat told him, Buck chuckled.

After a month Kat had mostly fully healed besides the occasional loss of balance, she was at the home watching the news as well Buck and Bailey were at work, when Taylor Kelly voice caught here attention.

"Sue Blevins remains in critical condition at this hour. Police currently have no leads and fear this case could end up like most hit-and-runs in our city- unsolved"

"Sue Blevins?" She mumbled to herself, she glanced down at her laptop and googled the name.

...

"I'm back!" Buck called closing the apartment door "And I got Chinese food" no answer. "Kat?" and walked into the living room. "Kat? What are you doing?"

"Okay, so, you know how Sue Blevins got hit by a car?" She asked, he nodded and sat next to her. "Well, I got the security footage, don't ask how. There's something weird here"

"Let me see" she showed him the laptop and played it. "Wow, he, uh. He really didn't slow down"

"I just can't figure out why she's running towards the car" She replied.

"Maybe she saw something she wasn't supposed to. Uh, she- she sees the guy in his car, she gets out to confront him. He runs her over"

"But what could she have seen? I mean, look at where the car was parked, only thing over there are the dumpster"

"You know, I-I heard about this illegal plastic surgery clinic a few months back. Guy was tossing evidence in the dumpster" He said.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" She asked.

"Go down there and check it out?" He suggested, she smirked and nodded.

...

"Okay, so what if the driver so doing the same thing tossing the evidence in the dumpster" Kat suggested as the two walked towards the dumpster.

"Should we call the police?" Buck asked.

"Eh, eventually, I mean, we're already here"

"I do happen to have gloves in my car" He told her, she smirked.

"Don't even think about it, Buck, Kat" Athena said from behind the two.

"Damn it"

Written:09/03/2023

Published: 25/07/2023

Word Count: 603