Thirty-Nine

~Future Tense~

"LAFD" Bobby said as he rung the doorbell

"Dispatch said the patient was unconscious" Buck pointed out.

"They also said it was a smart home"

"Welcome, Los Angeles Fire Department" and the swung open.

"Am I the only one really creeped out right now?" Hen asked.

"No" The group replied, putting their masks on and walked into the house.

"Now, who would wanna live like this?" Eddie asked, as the trio brought the stretcher into the house. "Cameras and microphones everywhere, not knowing who's watching or listening"

"I hate to break it to you, Eddie but if you got a computer or a smartphone, smart TV, smart anything, really, then anyone can spy on you" Buck said to him.

"Now I'm thinking I shouldn't buy that fancy smart coffee maker I keep seeing commercials for"

"Hello, Eddie. Here are some popular coffee makers, would you like to hear the review?"

"Welcome to the future" Buck whispered to Eddie, Kat laughed as Eddie's expression turned to concern.

"Why does it sound terrifying to me?"

...

"This thing looks like a death trap" Hunter mumbled looking at the instructions. "Wait, I think we mixed up the spacers with the supports"

"Yeah, but they look the same" Kat replied.

"Buck, did you steal the screwdriver again?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah, it is all yours. I am finally finished baby proofing this house" Buck said and threw the screwdriver over to Hunter. "Hey, I wonder if we should put some alarm sensors on these windows"

"You know we live on the second floor, right?" Hunter questioned.

"And what if the baby tries to get out?"

"Buck, I said that you could babyproof the apartment, not turn it into an inescapable fortress" Maddie told him.

"I just don't wanna underestimate the curious interiority of my nephew"

"Uh, we don't know if it's a boy" Madde replied.

"The last ultrasound, the baby was in the wrong position to tell the sex" Hunter said. "Maddie said it looked like the baby was mooning them"

"Ah, well, hey, definitely yours, then" Kat commented looking at her older brother.

"Well, if it is a boy, I had some name ideas. You know, there's Buck or, uh, Buckley. Kid could be an Evan" Buck told them, Kat rolled her eyes.

"Really dug deep for those, huh?"

"Seriously, Buck?" Maddie asked, trying to open the cabinets. "It's an upper cabinet. How's the baby gonna reach that?"

"Kat how do you feel about Fire Marshall Buckley?" Hunter asked.

"I hate it" She mumbled.

"What about his new lady friend?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah, hey, about that. Um...she's a therapist, I'm seeing her professionally. Not personally" Buck told them.

"Okay, why would you lie about that?" Maddie questioned.

"Yeah. come on. We've all had our turn in the hot seat, besides Kat she's still needs it" Kat scoffed. "It's the cost of doing our jobs, it's not a big deal"

"She's not a department shrink. Uh, and it's not about the job. It's- it's about me" Maddie nodded.

"What about you?" She asked.

"I don't know, um, just- just stuff. I mean, everyone has issues, right?"

"Kat has a lot of them" Hunter mumbled, Kat glared at him. "Hey, maybe instead of college funds, new parents should start therapy funds"

"Ah, there you go, I know what I'm getting you guys for a baby gift" Kat grinned.

"I thought that's what the baby latches were"

"No, that's his"

...

"Come on, Buck!" Chris exclaimed. "I'm beating you!"

"You're cheating" Buck accused, Kat chuckled.

"Come on, Buck"

"Hey, man, you need to talk to your kid about playing...fair" Buck trailed off watching Eddie unplug the TV. "Or you could just do that"

"Dad, I was beating him!"

"Well, we're taking a little break from the Internet right now" Eddie told him, Krystal looked at him confused.

"But how am I supposed to talk to my friends?" Chris asked.

"You're talking to people on this thing?" He questioned.

"M'kay, hey, um, you know Buck was kidding the other day, right?" Kat questioned. "About the whole spying thing?"

"Was he? 'Cause ever since that call, every time I go online, there's an ad for coffee makers. Read the news, coffee maker. Check the weather, coffee maker"

"What weather app are you checking?" Krystal asked.

"Yeah, it's, uh- it's called targeted advertising" Buck told him.

"I didn't even want a new coffee maker! The one we have is fine!" Eddie exclaimed. "I only mentioned it in front of you...and Hildy"

"Hildy? Are we getting a Hildy?" Christopher asked him.

"No, we are definitely not"

"Buck, Kat, can we go to your house and play video games?" He asked the couple, Eddie crossed his arms over his chest and glared at the two.

"Uh, sorry, kid, I think we're gonna be playing it old school for a while" Buck told him as Eddie walked away.

"What's old school?"

"Have you ever heard of Scrabble?" Buck questioned.

"I'll go talk to him" Krystal chuckled, standing up and followed him out the room.

...

"I've been on the list for special deployment ever since I joined the department. Never got a call before today" Buck said, walking over to Eddie and Kat by the truck.

"Okay, we are ready to roll" Eddie told the two.

"Uh, no, I know how you guys are. Everybody, make sure you use the bathroom before we go. I don't care if you think you need to or not" Kat announced to the rest of the crew. "We have a 20-hour drive, and we're gonna make good time"

"This is gonna be fun" Buck mumbled dryly, Kat rolled her eyes.

"It'll be fun, I've never been to Texas" Kat replied.

Tysm for reading!!

Written:07/03/2023

Published: 17/06/2023

Word Count: 916