Forty-Four

~There Goes the Neighborhood~

"

Okay, what was the worst date you went on?" Kat asked Buck. "And it better not be one of ours"

"It's not, it's not" He chuckled. "Hmm...when I first moved to LA, I went on a date with this girl Veronica I think her name was it was a total disaster"

"Why, what did you do?" She asked.

"How'd you know I did something?" Buck questioned, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Because it's something you'd be" She chuckled while putting the plates in the cabinets. "Can you take out the trash please?"

"Yeah, of course" He said and grabbed the bag of trash and walked out.

The door opened again, Kat closed the cabinets door "That was quick" She pointed out and turned around to saw Buck still had the bag of trash in his hands with a shocked look on his face. "What's wrong?"

"We have to move" Buck told her.

...

"...I don't think that's too much to as for" Buck said.

"Well, it's not like Veronica knew we lived there, and this date was years ago" Kat told him as they walked down the path way.

"Maybe she did, she could've been stalking me" He pointed out, Kat laughed.

"You said the date went terrible, I'm surprised she didn't run"

"Well we need to move"

"No we're not" She told him. "You're just being dramatic"

"No, no, no, yesterday. Bailey had to distract her for 20 minutes while I got the mail...and now that I'm saying it out loud it's proving your point"

"Exactly"

"I just don't want to live like this. Always looking over my shoulder" He told her. The bushes rustled behind them the two paused.

"I think he's behind us" She replied, the two slowly turned around and saw the turkey stood on the path. "Hey, Sonny"

"Ready for this?" Buck asked. Kat pulled out the net catcher and Buck pulled out the blueberries. Buck threw a couple of blueberries at him, the two stepped back before Kat fired the net catcher, catching the turkey, she smirked.

...

"No, no, no, no. 3 inches. Those are too short" Hunter said to Buck and walked away into the bedroom.

"Why am I helping you again?" Buck asked.

"You're the one that showed up unannounced" Maddie told the couple.

"He dragged me here" Kat sighed.

"Yeah, 'cause I'm too afraid to go home. Bailey was supposed to let me know when the coast is clear, but she hasn't. And now she's not answering my texts"

"I wouldn't text you back either" "I'd do the same" The two said in unison.

"Just stop hiding and talk to her like a grown-up" Maddie told his brother.

"Fine" Buck mumbled "But I was there first" Kat chuckled as Maddie gave him unamused look.

"Okay, sleep mask, ear plugs, some time-release melatonin, and if all else fails, booze. Everything you need to get a good night's rest when you're next door to a crying baby" Hunter listed off.

"Are you sure this isn't a little excessive?" Maddie questioned. "I mean, we're just having a baby, we're not launching a campaign of shock and awe"

"Well, they say good fences make good neighbors, but a gift basket never hurt anyone. You think it'll work?" Hunter asked.

"Well, if nothing else, we;ll get to know our neighbors"

"Careful what you wish for" Buck mumbled, Kat rolled her eyes.

...

"Okay, I'll gonna go talk to her" Buck sighed out, Kat smiled proudly.

"Good" She said, and looked at the box of cheese cake in his hands. "Why'd you get cheese cake?"

"...It's complicated" He said "But can you come with me, please?" she chuckled.

"Fine, but I'm not talking for you" he nodded, they walked out the apartment and over to Veronica's door "Ready?" he nodded and knocked on the door.

"Buck, hey"

"Hi. um...look, I realize we haven't talked since our date, and I know it was kind of awkward"

"Yeah, it was terrible" She laughed.

"Yeah. um...listen, I think you're great and we live in the same building, which could be totally weird but it shouldn't" Buck replied.

"No, it absolutely shouldn't"

"So here" and gave her the cheese cake.

"Chocolate cheesecake!"

"Welcome to the neighborhood" He told her.

"Thank you for everything. I- I'm so happy right now and I weirdly owe it all to you. It's not every day a bad date introduces you to a great girl" She replied, Buck glanced behind him to look at his girlfriend and they stared at each other confused.

"I'm sorry, what now?" Kat asked.

"Hey, Veronica, I think you're out of conditioner" Bailey voice said from inside the apartment she stepped out the bathroom wrapped in a towel.

"Oh, for fuck sake" Kat groaned running her hand through her short brown hair.

Written:09/03/2023

Published: 15/07/2023

Word Count: 780