Fifty-Seven

~Past is Prologue~

"There's over 5,000 known oil wells in L

"There's over 5,000 known oil wells in L.A. but there are a bunch that were just basically forgotten" Buck said after a call they had early that day. "You know, they-they dried up, they filled them with trash and covered them. It's like the-the ticking time bomb that could be sitting in your backyard right now" He glanced over to his girlfriend who was just staring blankly at the floor. "Uh, Kat?" she didn't say anything "Katniss"

"Huh?"

"Oh, I-I was just, uh, I was pitching you a great story" He chuckled. "Uh, I-I did the-the promo tease"

"Hmm, yeah, I, big, um...oil well...time bombs. It's great" She replied.

"Hey, are-are you okay?"

"Uh...my father's parole hearings coming up and I don't wanna go but I have too" She explained putting the plate down.

"W-w-wait, I thought Matt was dead" He stuttered out.

"No, Matt was my foster father. My mom...I was the one who found her, the coroner ruled it a suicide and then, a week later they came back and arrested my father" She sighed.

"So your dad killed your mom" Buck said understanding.

"Well, that's what the jury said" He stepped towards and ran his fingers through her hair.

"When is it? The hearing?" He asked.

"Uh, 2 days"

"Do you want me to come with you?" She shook her head.

"No, no, I don't want that. This isn't your childhood trauma, Buck, it's mine. I need to deal with this on my own"

"You sure?"

"Yeah" She nodded, Buck pulled her in and hugged her, she smiled. "I just want this year to be over with it's been like a punch in the gut"

"Maybe you're cursed" she chuckled a bit.

...

"Apparently, May walked in on him and Athena reconnecting in the kitchen the other night" Hen told the group snapping Kat out of her thoughts, Chim chuckled, as Bobby looked at the group.

"Oh, God. Parental nightmare" Kat chuckled.

"Well, apparently, my wife has been oversharing" Bobby mumbled.

"I-I-I mean, I just wasn't aware that we were able to being our gear home for recreational purposes"

"Aw..." Buck started as he face turned to disgust, Kat laughed at her boyfriend's face.

"You've been playing sexy firefighter, Cap?" Ravi asked him.

"What makes you think that I was the firefighter?" Bobby asked them.

"Oh, come on. I don't want to think about that and...now I can't stop" Buck said, Kat chuckled.

...

"Are you sure you wanna go on your own?" Buck asked her.