I'm Here

I had called Mark, wondering how he was doing. I was his best friend. He hasn't talked to me for a week. Mark was startled. As far as he knew, he hadn't been talking to anyone in quite a while. He was silent for a few brief seconds, until he managed to speak.

" Hello? Who is this? "

"It's me..your friend."

" .. Friend? "

 The word 'friend' felt alien to Mark. Almost as if he had been teleported into an alternate universe, and had no clue what or who anything surrounding him was. His mind was completely blank, and he was starting to get a bit annoyed by just this one person speaking to him. ]

" I don't have any friends, and I don't want one. Leave. "

"What the hell do you mean Mark? Don't play with me. I am your friend."

Mark sat up in his bed; his shoulders trembled while grabbing his pistol with two steady hands as his jaw chattered. He was on the verge of something; something insane.

" What the hell do you want, then? Are you here to leave me? If so, well ... "

Mark paused. He wanted to threaten to hurt them with his weapon, but decided not to, despite the anger boiling inside of himself. 

" I don't wanna get into it, just get lost. Leave me the hell alone. "

"I.."I was surprised. I just wanted to check how he was doing.

[ There was a pause. A long pause ... ]

[ Mark sat, thinking of what to do. His voice was obviously showing that he has been through a lot. ]

" .. What? What the hell do you want?"

His tone of voice sounded tired and exhausted of everything. It sounded like he had finally snapped.

" Just leave, will you? I am so sick of people, just go, please ... "

"I wanted to see how you were feeling.."

He sighed, staring at his ceiling while feeling defeated. He was tired, he was exhausted, and he felt like crying.

" Well, I feel like hell. "

Again, another pause. The silence of the night, the moonlight from behind the drawn curtains illuminated the entire room while Mark just stared at the ceiling, staring into what felt like nothing. 

" .. You're the first person to even check on me in ages, you know. "

"I'm coming over.."

For a moment, Mark froze. He was unsure how to respond

" Are .. Are you sure? "

He looked at the ceiling once again, feeling a wave of comfort slowly flood him.

" You're the only, only person whose checked on me. Not my "family", not my so-called "friends". Just you ... "

He paused once again.

" Yes, yes you can come over. But, please, just don't leave me. Please. "

You heard Mark's door close. You were there, at his house. You were there for him.

You heard him crying, the sobs were loud and he was clearly breaking down. It seemed like he was never going to stop, and he had finally broken down completely ... 

You're the only person there for him, and that felt like something of a comfort, but still .. It wasn't easy to make him stop crying and smiling. If you were going to comfort him, you'd have to say something quick.

"Mark."

His sobs went silent. You finally managed to calm him down.

" .. Yes? "

He sniffled while sitting up on his bed. You could tell he had been crying for a while from the red stain his face was, and how his hair was a bit messy due to it. He was trying his hardest not to sob again, but that was easier said than done; this had been the most vulnerable he's been in his entire life, and it was very difficult to just try and ... Recover.

You hugged him tightly."I'm here now.*

You noticed Mark was still sniffling a bit, but he had finally stopped crying. He slowly hugged you back, a bit tense and careful as to not hurt you.

" .. Thank you, thank you, thank you. "

 He said, his words feeling slightly damp with his tears. He really did mean it too, you were the only one who had come to check on him; the only person who really, genuinely seemed to care enough to just say " Hey, I'm here. "