☠️ Prologue ☠️

Have you ever wondered what the most magical phase of life is?

If you thought of childhood, you're right. It's in childhood that the cruelty of the real world doesn't touch you, at least for some...

It's in childhood that you believe old Saint Nick will visit every home with children around the world to leave gifts if they've been good. It's when your baby teeth fall out and a fairy comes to collect them because you're growing up, even leaving you some cash, pretty cool, right? It's when you innocently follow the bunny tracks that left chocolate eggs scattered around your house.

Magic is real in childhood. Your parents have answers to all your questions, a kiss on the boo-boo makes it stop hurting, a hug from your parents when you're sad is the best medicine. It's a phase where unicorns and fairies are real, where animals can talk and help save the world in cartoons. It's a perfect life, everything is beautiful, magical, and enchanted.

When you're a child, it's easy to imagine a perfect world, a world where magic is real. This is because it's what is generally expected; children should have a good and healthy life where they don't have to worry about adult problems. They can dream and let their imaginations travel to places not explored so much when adulthood hits.

If a child is neglected, they will likely have experiences that will negatively affect their future because, unfortunately, their innocence is taken away too soon. You begin to see the real world as it is. For some, childhood was never magical, never good; the old Saint Nick doesn't come to visit, the Easter bunny doesn't leave chocolate eggs, their parents weren't the ones who kissed and cared, and unfortunately, they weren't the safe harbor. They weren't the people who should have made children feel safe. For these children, if magic was real, then it was just another privilege they didn't have.

Unfortunately, for the protagonists of this story, they were not part of the privileged group. The world was never magical as they grew up.

☠️🖤☠️

A child should have responsibilities while growing up, but not in the way little Davis did, having to fight for her own life earlier than anyone should

At 4 years old, she already knew how to bathe, dress herself, and go to school alone.

At 5 years old, she had to bathe her own mother, who had eaten too much "candy" and was very sick.

At 9 years old, she encountered a drug dealer. It wasn't the first time she had seen one; they frequented her house with her mother and "visited" her often in her room. This time, it was she who sought them out, buying drugs for her mother, who was going through withdrawal and begging her daughter to help, claiming that she would die if she didn't get the "candy."

At 10 years old, she became the older sister of Samantha Nadia Davis, her biological sister. She had to learn how to bathe a baby, adjust the milk temperature, and change diapers, as her mother was God knows where, doing God knows what. Thus, at 10 years old, she was a girl who should have been playing with her sister, but the reality was that Erin had become a mother at the age of 10 to prevent her little sister from dying. Until then, she still believed that she could have a good life, that her life could be better, but as the years passed, it became increasingly difficult for her to believe in good things.