Chapter 14

After lunch, everyone went back to work. Halstead's case always had some new information and they needed to act quickly, as it was international smuggling. Erin got some information, but lunch was more focused on resting her mind from work. She offered her and the team's help if needed. Which wasn't being used yet, because they needed to deal with time and the false information they were receiving and not because of a lack of personnel.

Jay was frustrated, in addition to the false information, he had exactly 4 minutes to talk to his children during the afternoon, Aydan said that they had been asking for him all day and that Jesse was crying, he found some time and made a video call, but for a short time, for he had to go.

Lindsay's day continued to be good, she loved having some time alone with Halstead and then with the other bosses, it was a good conversation. Even though her case was not a good case and very sad, she was confident, she didn't find out much about it, they went after clues that didn't help much, some even led to a little thing here and there, but nothing substantial or to take them to the criminal. It was a cold case, so without many leads they called it a day an hour after work. They didn't have much to do.

Jay and Lindsay's days were complete opposites, his was hectic and Lindsay's was calm and peaceful, she was on a lucky streak at work, her cases were being solved and she didn't stay out too late, things were going well. very good for her, but seeing Jay leaving to follow some lead while she was going home made her want to trade places with him, she wished he could be going home to see his children and spend time with them , she knows how important this is. It's important even for Sam that she's almost an adult and she knows that Sam would understand if she came back late, but she imagines two children being without their father for so long. It must be hard and after what Jay shared, she worried even more.

She couldn't go to the children and her presence could confuse them, but even so the idea never stopped passing through her mind, if she and Jay had known each other for longer and if she had been closer to the children she would undoubtedly look for them. just so they would have some sort of comfort or distraction. They know her and if they want something Lindsay knows only Jay would be able to give it to them.

🖤☠️🖤

Jay left earlier than the day before, now it was only 1am for Jay, he considered picking up his children, but the case was still ongoing and he didn't want to wake up his children and Aydan in case he was called during the early hours of the morning and he had You have to take your children again and bother everyone. However, he doesn't know how much longer he can last without his children. He knows that if this case doesn't end soon, he will have to interrupt Aydan and his children's sleep in the early hours of the morning. He even considered taking his children to work, but he knows that if he rushes out there won't be time to stop by the headquarters and accommodate the children, and besides, he wouldn't have anyone to leave them with. That was the bad part of fatherhood, especially after what they went through and knowing that their children had nightmares, he had to leave his children for work, but that was also for them, to leave the world, the country and especially, the city in which they live safe for their children.

As expected at 6 am he was already on the field. He was woken up and told that an abandoned warehouse had been found, it was an hour and a half away and he went. So it was a good thing he didn't catch them, he would have had a lot of trouble picking up his kids and leaving them with the nanny.

There was a delay in the case, they spent some time searching, as it was a very large place, in addition they asked for a mini van for the criminals and more vehicles to take all the illegal goods and the children who were trafficked.

This lasted until after lunch time. They finally put an end to this long and tiring case. All the culprits were arrested and would be sent to trial. Jay wanted to go straight to his children, but unfortunately that wasn't how it worked. He still needed to go to headquarters and sort out some procedures.