Oscar Piastri [School Reunion]

A/N Thanks to livelaughlove_lando for suggesting Oscar (:

TAGLIST: LilyHeseltineNew aleepiastri Airwavee Mi1234ll archivebooks Guineapig98 smallmonster

WORDS: 1181
____

Class reunion. Can you hear how excited I am about this? My feelings are conflicted about this reunion, which is set for this afternoon, but I said that I will come and now there is no way out of it. On one side I really want to see some of the people, figure out what they archived in their lives until now, but then there is him.

I don't even know if he will come since he is a professional athlete now and probably doesn't have any time for meetings like this, or?

He is away most of the time, traveling from place to place but never back home, never back to this place. He will not come; I don't think he will. Directly when it was possible for him, he left school, this town and never looked back.

Well, he did return but only for his girlfriend and his family, he visited them, but he seemed to forget that he has friends here. Maybe he just forgot me. To be fair, flying to Australia does take a lot of time, depending on where he is, but with visiting his family he could have at least said hello. Especially because during the last years of school we clicked and if I am honest, I also had a crush on him.

During this time, I thought he likes me back, but obviously he didn't. After countless sleepovers, cuddling, and to my understanding, many dates I wanted to be sure. I walked over to him on this sunny afternoon, wanted to talk about my feelings with him, but I never managed to get that far.

He was outside of the shared family home, standing in the front yard with one of the more popular girls and they looked so close to each other. His hand was on her cheek and when I saw that he was leaning forwards I left. Turned around and disappeared into the next street.

Of course, I didn't say anything about what I have seen, but I didn't even need to because Oscar told me everything with a big smile. As a good friend, I congratulated him while something inside of me broke.

At this moment I decided to no longer water that dead flower since the thought that she will grow was just wrong. The flower stands for the feeling I had, which I saw between Oscar and myself, but obviously, there were none.

When I arrive at the location, I look around, trying to spot the familiar hair, but I can't see him anywhere. I kind of feel lucky he isn't in the crowd and so I walk around to greet some people.

It gets later and later, and I had several funny conversations, meeting people I haven't seen in a while, and I was more than happy to see them again. When the sun slowly sets, I walk a bit away from the group and sit down at a landing stage which is giving me the perfect view of the lake.

After some time, I can hear footsteps coming closer, but I don't turn around and let myself be surprised who is keeping me company. A warm body sits down beside me and when a familiar scent comes to my nose I stiffen. This is Oscar, no one else smells like home and secureness.

I cross my arms in front of my chest and turn my head away from him. He should sense that he behaved terribly in the last years. Oscar sights but decides to say something.

"Hey." Is his only word and I wait for a second if he says something else, but he doesn't continue. Outraged I turn to him and look at him with as much hate as I can.

"Hey, this is the only thing you say to me after ignoring me for years? You can't be serious right now." Oscar flinches but I don't care, I have every right to feel angry. Looking at him makes me realise that he still looks good. Why can't he have turned ugly?

"I am sorry, okay?" Oscar says and tries to catch my gaze. "Doesn't make it much better." I say bitter and look over the dark lake.

"I know that I was an asshole or still am, but I thought it would be easier for us." Oscar tries to explain but makes my mood even worse.

"Easier? For fuck's sake Oscar, you left me alone here!" Upset I look at him and need to take a shaky breath. I don't want to cry but the feelings try to overwhelm me.

"I am so sorry." Oscar whispers and I can hear that he is struggling to keep his composure.

After another deep breath, I try to change the subject to distract myself a bit. Of course, I am angry, but I don't know how long he is going to be here, and I decide to be nice. I can scream at him more after this evening.

"How were your last years?" I ask without any context and surprised Oscar lifts his head.

"What?" He says confused but I can see how his expression softens when he realises, I try distracting him from the real topic, but with a sigh, he just goes with it.

"Could have been better, could have been worse. The current season is an upside down, hopefully, more upwards in the next races." Oscar says and shrugs his shoulder. I know exactly that he hates that he is not able to give a 100%.

"It's going to get better." I try to cheer him up with a smile, even though the words aren't really encouraging a smile appears on Oscar's lips.

"And you? Boyfriend, fiancée, children?" He grins mischievously and nudges his shoulder against mine. Laughing I nudge him back but shake my head.

"None of those happened in the last years." I admit and Oscar gets big eyes.

"You didn't have a boyfriend?" He asks like it is something impossible and if the thought of it would hurt so badly, I would probably laugh about his face.

"I had my eye on someone, but he didn't want me." I mumble with a bitter tone in my voice.

"What an idiot. You look good and I would have taken you immediately." Oscar tells me and straightens his back, only to let his shoulder hang directly afterward. That his words hurt is something he doesn't even notice, and he just looks at me shyly.

"I never had a chance with you, or?" He asks and bites his lip. Now I can't hold up my masquerade anymore, for just a second my mimic changes, before I regain my control again.

"This is the sad part, you had one." I whisper and don't look at him. Oscar gasps for air and I think he will leave, but he just curses under his breath.

"Fuck, I ruined, or?" Is his question, fearing what my answer would be, and even though it hurts me to say my next word I have to tell him.

"Probably."