Tyunning- Road Trip

The music in the car blasted at full volume as the two best friends drove down the highway. Kai put his aviator sunglasses on after Taehyun did. The top to the convertible rolled down so they could feel the wind on their faces.

They were headed towards Seattle to their rented cabin. Summer break from college was here. Their last one before they graduated. One last summer of freedom before it was filled with work.

Kai pointed to the sign that said "Welcome to Nebraska". Only a few states to go.

Taehyun insisted on making the whole trip in one day. He claimed that they could take turns driving. The faster they got there the better.

The view was surprisingly pretty. Corn glistened in the rising sun. Wheat swayed in the light breeze. The horizon was a mix of orange, pink and yellow that faded upwards to a light blue. Cows grazed in the pastures. Kai pointed at all of them in exictement. The babies were the best part. He half joking asked Taehyun to pull over so he could pet them all. Taehyun warned he would get shot by the farmers if he tried. That was probably true.

Horses ran through the fields. The two laughed when they saw some having sex. The next farm over advertised a family owned bbq restauant. It sounded good but they had a long drive ahead of them. Quick food only. Kai grabbed a bottle of sweetened coffee from the cooler. "Want one?"

"Sure." Taehyun took it after the bottle was opened for him. He drank half of it then gave it back to Kai. "Thanks."

Kai set the bottles down into the cup holders. "It's so pretty here. I bet the air is really fresh!" The window rolled down. It closed back up as quickly as it opened. The smell of cow manure briefly flooded the car. "That's just awful."

Taehyun's stomach started to rumble. "Hey, look up fast food around here."

Kai searched for restaurants along the route. The closest pit stop was about an hour away. "Taco bell? Mcdonalds? Any of these sound good?"

"I can't remember the last time I had taco bell breakfast."

"So... there?"

"Sure. Why not?"

Kai selected that place on the screen. The GPS redirected them towards the restaurant. It warned of a speed trap up ahead. Taehyun slowed down from going 15 over the limit to 5.

The scenery didn't change as the sun continued to climb higher in the sky. Admittedly, Kai was so invested in his game, he wouldn't have noticed either way. His sudden scream from losing caused Taehyun to jolt the car to the right.

"Christ Kai! We could've crashed!"

"Nah, we were fine."

Taehyun tried to be mad but he couldn't when his best friend enthusiastically pointed towards the large cluster of restaurant signs in the distance. His stomach rumbled louder at the thought of food. He stared at the menu as Kai ordered. It had been years since he's eaten fast food breakfast. Normally he didn't eat breakfast at all. Taehyun settled on a sausage crunchwrap, a bottle of orange juice and a hashbrown on the side. The spiciest hot sauce was requested as well.

After receiving their food, Taehyun ate with one hand and drove with the other. Hours passed until they were finally out of Nebraska. Kai offered to drive after they filled up gas. Taehyun was more than happy to let him. Endless fields made him sleepy. To keep himself awake, he decided to ask a few questions he had always been wondering. "Are you ever going to get rid of your stuffed animals?"

"What's wrong with them?!"

"They take up your entire bed!"

"They deserve a comfy space to sleep."