🧊Tyunning- Him

Taehyun was walking quickly down the street because he was late to meet his boyfriend for their study date. His backpack bounced with each step. The edges of his folders kept smacking his shoulder blades. It kind of hurt. He looked at his watch to see Yeonjun texted "where are you?" He replied "on my way!"

The two chose this cafe to study at because Yeonjun was recently hired there. Only college students seemed to work there besides the manager. It was nice for him to interact with people his age. Even better was his customers also being his age. The job was pretty easy too. He tried to convince Taehyun to apply but by the time his boyfriend was seriously considering it, all of the positions were full. Now it was their favorite study spot.

"I'm so sorry I'm late!" Taehyun kissed Yeonjun's forehead then sat his bag down. "Were you waiting a while?"

"Just a couple of minutes. You can go ahead and order. I'll pull up our project."

Taehyun left towards the register. He had a usual drink but wanted to try something new this time. An americano wasn't quite hitting it today. As he browsed the menu, his entire world stopped when he saw someone he didn't recognize behind the counter. He couldn't explain it.

The sounds of coffee grinding, milk steaming and lively chatter were all drowned out by that stranger's beauty. He watched that man tuck his silky black strands behind his ear. The stranger then smiled from being told a joke. His smile became the most precious thing in the world.

Attractive people were everywhere. None of them looked like that stranger. The cashier had to clear her throat to get Taehyun's attention. He apologized, "oh. Sorry. Can I get an iced caramel macchiato? Almond milk please."

After he paid, he walked to the end of the bar to watch that stranger make his drink. The guy was joking with another barista. His laughter was almost as loud as the machines. If that was anyone else, Taehyun would be annoyed by it. Instead, he found himself quietly laughing with him.

Another barista walked towards the end of the bar to wave to Yeonjun. He then pointed at Taehyun. "THIS IS THE BOYFRIEND RIGHT?!"

Yeonjun's face flushed red as he nodded.

Taehyun awkwardly waved. He stopped when he saw the stranger laughing at him. "Yeah, I'm Taehyun... the boyfriend."

"It's nice to finally meet you! Yeonjun won't shut up about you. I'm Beomgyu by the way. Between you and me, I don't know why you're with him. He's from the last century and his hair products always smell a little funny."

"He's not THAT much older."

Yeonjun complained "HEY! ONLY TWO AND A HALF YEARS! TWO!"

The attractive stranger yelled "THREE FOR ME GRANDPA!"

Yeonjun mouthed "fuck off!" while flashing him the middle finger.

Taehyun giggled. "So, you're Beomgyu. What's your name?"

"Kai. Everyone calls me 'Hyuka' though."

A third barista came out from the back. He put his arm around Hyuka then watched him finish the drink.

Taehyun felt jealous. He quickly brushed it off but it came right back when he saw that tall barista whisper something in Hyuka's ear. He told himself to stop being feeling this way. He was dating someone. Yeonjun. An amazing person who was so similar to him. They've known each other since forever. He really liked him a lot.

But when Hyuka handed him his drink, and their hands accidentally touched, he felt a rush of butterflies that he had never felt before. Their hands lingered longer than he was expecting. Before he walked away, just for a brief moment, he could've sworn Hyuka felt it too. "Thanks for the drink..."

"Y-you're welcome."

Taehyun quickly walked back to his seat. Yeonjun was talking about the layout that he wanted for their project. He tried his best to stay in the conversation but his eyes kept wandering back to Hyuka. Every so often, he saw Hyuka doing the same.

When Yeonjun finished his americano, Taehyun quickly offered to grab him another one. Hyuka started to walk over to the register. Both of their excitements dropped when someone else got there first. Taehyun sighed. "Can I get a small iced americano please?"

The girl asked "anything else?"

Taehyun pointed towards Hyuka. "What does he usually get?"

"I don't know."

"Can I talk to him?"

The girl rolled her eyes then switched places with Hyuka. "Hey." He nervously tapped a rhythm on the counter. "What did you want to ask me?"

"What do you usually make for yourself?"

"A hot chocolate or a fruit tea. I'm not really a fan of coffee."

"Why do you work here then?"

"My friend got me this job." Hyuka spoke louder because he knew Soobin was around the corner. "He can't stand to be without me for more than a few minutes!"

"YOU MEAN YOU BEGGED ME FOR THIS JOB?!"

Taehyun laughed while the two started to argue in front of him. He wondered how often they did that. He then wondered if there was something between them. The taller seemed to cling onto him a lot.

"Go back to your inventory! I'm trying to help him!" Hyuka jokingly pushed Soobin through the back door. "Sorry about that. What were we talking about?"

"You said your friend got you this job."

"Oh! Right! He said it's easy money and the people here are fun." Hyuka's eyes lit up at his great idea. "You should work here!"

"I thought all of the positions were filled."

"One person just quit today! Plus, you'd get to see your boyfriend more."

Taehyun bit his tounge. He wasn't excited to see his boyfriend more. He wanted to see more of Hyuka instead. The thought of spending hours with him, getting to know him, was the biggest draw to the job. That's also why he couldn't take it. "I don't think I'd have time but thanks for the offer."

He handed over the cash. Their hands touched again. That spark returned. This time, he was sure Hyuka felt it too. Taehyun watched his ears become gradually red as he counted change. His interest had to count twice because he was too flustered the first time. They practically held hands when he received his change back. Taehyun could barely say "thank you" as he stuffed it in his wallet.

They didn't say anything else. Hyuka had other customers to serve. Still, neither could stop looking at each other. Taehyun tried to wave to him when he was handed his boyfriend's drink. The taller didn't seem to notice. He lingered around for a second more in hopes to catch his eye again. Unfortunately, customers kept coming.

Hyuka looked up to see Taehyun kissing Yeonjun. It bothered him more than it should've. He barely knew the guy. His manager came out to tell him his shift was over. That made him run to the back. He couldn't wait to leave.

Yeonjun asked "why do you keep looking behind the counter?"

Taehyun was half hoping Hyuka was on a break so he could see him again. Something in his gut told him he wasn't. "No reason. They just look like they're having fun."

"Yeah, they're cool. Do you want me to ask my manager if we're hiring?"

Against his logical instincts telling him to say "no", Taehyun told him "yes." He knew his relationship with Yeonjun could come to an end if he saw Hyuka more. That, however, was a risk he was willing to take. Especially since Hyuka seemed to feel the same way.