Tyunning- What if? #7

Short Story Collection- Chapter: Be With Me

➡️ What if Kai decided not to go inside of the cafe?

Time ticked away while Taehyun was
waiting in the coffee shop. He wasn't
even sure Kai was coming. His ex was
already twenty minutes late. It wasn't like Kai to be late to anything. He nervously tapped on the table while refusing to give up hope. It took a miracle to get him to agree to a meeting. It seemed like an even bigger miracle for him to actually show up.

Kai had been sitting in his car for the past twenty minutes trying to convince himself to either leave or go in. He didn't know what the hell he was thinking.

Years had passed since they had last been together. Hell, Taehyun was engaged in that time. Kai was now a completely different person. The rejection to his own proposal made him more sheltered. It was impossible for him to become serious in a new relationship without worrying they'll
just leave like his ex did. What was worse was his inability to move on. He loved and hated Taehyun simultaneously.

Kai sighed then looked at his watch. He
had been sitting in his car for a half hour
now. In the window, he accidentally caught Taehyun's eye. "I can't do this." His foot tapped the break. The engine roared to life and he sped off.

"WAIT!" Taehyun grabbed his coat then ran out. "KAI!" He watched the blonde turn the corner. The peach tea lemonade, that he specifically bought for his ex, was now watered down from the melting ice. He took a sip of it and it tasted as depressing as he felt.

Peaches, and peach flavored anything, was a memory of his time with the blonde. He used to eat them constantly because Kai insisted he tasted sweeter when he did. When they broke up, after he said "no" to the blonde's proposal, he swore them off. Their sweetness was now bitter. He threw that $7 drink into the trash then went home.

Saying "no" was the worst mistake of his life. Their relationship got boring in his
eyes. They had been together for years. Someone new started working at his job. That stranger made his attraction to him very known so before he knew it, Taehyun was cheating. This new guy gave him the excitement back. It wasn't until he lost Kai that he appreciated everything the blonde had done for him. No one cared for him as well as Kai did. Looking back, he realized how hard Kai tried to keep them together. Proposing was just a desperate plea to keep him in his life. "You should've said yes. Why the hell didn't you say yes Taehyun?"

When he got home, he stared at Kai's contact. His pride was depleted. He wiped his eyes and then he called him. "K-Kai?" Taehyun loved his name but hated saying it. He wanted to call him "baby" again. He wanted to call him his. Kai was so gentle and considerate and he threw it away. Taehyun held back tears when he heard that beautifully light voice in his ears again.

"I'm sorry I bailed. I can't do this."

"Please... please hear me out. I don't-" Taehyun wiped his eyes. "-I don't want to do this over the phone."

"Taehyun..."

"Please?"

"I can't. I can't see you again. Every time I see you, I remember all of the things you did."

"Scream at me in person then! Tell me you hate me! Punch me! Kick me! There's nothing you can do to me that I don't deserve! Just please-" Taehyun muted the phone as he whimpered into his sleeve. "-please just see me again. I need to see you. I still love you. There hasn't been a single fucking day where I stopped loving you."

Silence. Kai didn't know what to say. He still loved him too. There wasn't any doubt about it, but he couldn't take back someone who cheated on him. Not only cheated on him but also used him to cheat on his fiance. Remembering that Taehyun said "yes" to someone else made him sure of his decision. "No."