Frayed.

Stiles' POV

Me and Scott sit at the back of the bus, on the way to a cross-country meet as Lexi sits in the seat in front of us, her back leaning against the window. "Yo, Scotty! Hey, yo! Scotty? Still with me?" I say making Scott pay attention again. "Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?" He asks and I look down at the vocabulary app on my tablet.

"Anachronism." I say. "Something that exists out of its normal time." He says and I nod. "Nice! Okay, next word - 'incongruous'." I say. "Uh, can you use it in a sentence?" He asks. "Yes. Yes, I can! It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet, after what just happened. Incongruous." I say as I look over the seat to check on Lexi who has her eyes closed. "Out of place, ridiculous, absurd." Scott says making me nod.

"Perfect. Okay, next work. Um...Darach. Darach. It's a noun." I say slowly making Scott give me a look. "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?" I ask and Scott just turns to the window. "Next word...intransigent."

"Stubborn, obstinate." He says then a bus hits a bunk making him and Lexi gasp. "Oh, buddy, you okay?" I ask and Scott nods, but with a pained expression. "Lex, you okay?" I ask and she nods. "Y-yeah." She says lowly.

"We shouldn't have come. I knew it- we shouldn't have come." I say shaking my head. "We had to. There's safety in numbers." Scott argues making me scoff slightly. "Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre...or bloodbath...carnage...slaughter...butchery...wow, that's..." I trials off when I notice them barely listening, their chest rising with laboured breaths. "Alright, I'm telling Coach-"

"No, no, no, no, I'm alright. We're alright." Scott says making me scoff. "Well, you don't look alright! Would you just let me see it?" I ask and he shakes his head. "I'm okay..." he says. "If you're okay, then stop being so intransigent and let me see it." I say and with a reluctant nod, Scott lifts his shirt to reveal the slash marks crusted in blood over his torso. Dark bruises surrounding it.

"Oh, dude..."

"I know it's bad, but it's because they're from an alpha - it'll take longer to heal." He says making me scoff. "How come Boyd and Isaac are fine then? Scott, you've gotten wounds from an alpha before, none of them took this long. You should be healed by now. And don't forget Lexi is connected to you which means she's hurt as well." I say.

With no answer, Scott returns his gaze to the window. "I can't believe Derek's dead." He mutters as I get up move over to Lexi's seat. I gently lift her legs and place them over mine. I move her hands away from her stomach and lift her hoodie up of mine that she's wearing to see her wound exactly the same as Scott's.

"Hey." I say softly, brushing my thumb over her cheek as she opens her eyes. "Hey." She says in slight whisper. "You in pain?" I ask and she nods, holding my hand, linking her fingers with mine before she sighs in slight relief. "What?" I ask. "You're helping." She tells me making me smile softly.

About half an hour later, Coach points to angry finger at a couple of team members in the aisle. "The two of you - back in your seats! Jared, again? Carsick? Every ti- how do you even get on the bus? Look at me! No, don't look at me! Look at the horizon. Keep your eyes- keep your eyes on the horizon. McCall, not you, too?" Coach yells making Scott lift his head up. "No Coach, I'm good."

"McCall number one!" Coach yells making Lexi jump slightly. "Don't tell me you're getting sick too." He says and she shakes her head. "No. I'm okay, Coach." She says and he nods. "Good. Don't want my favourite student getting sick." He says.