Required Reading.

Alexis's POV

"Chimeras." Noah says as he puts a red 'X' over a picture of Tracy as me, Stiles and Malia stand behind him in the station. "Two dead chimeras-" Stiles corrects and I nod as I sigh softly. "And eight new ones." I say.

"So, that's ten in all." Stiles says and Noah sighs. "I'm thinking maybe eleven." He says as he puts up a picture of Donovan making Stiles look down and I grab his hand. "Our station tech confirmed something for me...they said both the holding cell block and cameras could've malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic." He says turning to us before grabbing the book from the desk. "You said that, uh, these guys-"

"The Dread Doctors."

"Are we really calling them that?" Noah asks and I nod. "It's who they are." I say as I lean against the desk. "So, they broken Donovan out." I add and Noah sighs. "It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?" He asks.

"Donovan's a chimera." Malia says as she walks over to his picture. "Yeah, but...is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?" Noah asks and Malia shrugs. "If he is, he's probably dead." She says and goes to X him out but Noah grabs her hand and shakes his head. "Not until I've seen a body." He says.

Noah glances over at Stiles who has his hack turned to us. "You're uncharacteristically quiet." He says making Stiles turn around to us all looking at him. "Yeah...sorry, I'm uh...I'm just trying to think about it. Uh...these are all teenagers, right? So, shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenagers? If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that, burying them, killing them, breaking them out of jail."

"They couldn't have been chosen at random." Noah says and I nod. "They had to have something in common."

"Something that made them right for this experiment."

"Something that made them special."

******

"My moms book club usually has more wine." Lydia says as we all sit around the coffee table in my house, looking at all the prints of the book. "Well, they probably also didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations..." Stiles says. "That's why Malia's here." Scott says.

"So no one goes running into traffic?" Kira asks and I nod, shrugging slightly. "Or worse." I say and Malia nods. "Like what happened to Judy." He says making everyone look at her confused. "Chapter fourteen."

"Maybe I should have my mother read it. She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone." Lydia says as she picks up a book and I chuckle. "Yeah, if it works." I say and Lydia sighs softly. "It has to." She says making us look at her confused. "What does that mean?"

"I think I saw them during my surgery. When I look at the cover of the book, it's almost like..." Lydia says trailing off slightly. "A memory trying to surface." Theo says making us all look at him while Lydia nods. "Yeah."

"Is that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" Kira asks and we all nod. "If they did something to me, I want to know what it is." Lydia says and I sigh before picking up one of the copies.

"This book better not get me killed."

******

I sigh softly as I turn another page. I sit in the dining room with Stiles and Malia with my feet up on Stiles lap, the book in my lap as Stiles hand lays on my ankle, rubbing his thumb back and forth. "What did you do to your shoulder?" Malia suddenly asks making me look up to see Stiles rubbing his shoulder.

"What are you talking about?" Stiles asks and Malia raises her eyebrows. "I can smell the blood. What happened?" She asks and Stiles sighs softly. "Jeep died on me again. I went to check the engine, the hood fell on it." He says glancing at me as Malia goes back to pouring coffee.