37 : Bracelets

"Y/N, I'll see you later!"

"Yeah, I'll see you too!"

"Oh wait," He walked back to you so he would no longer have to yell.

"Want me to get you something from there?"

"Hmm, well, get me anything you'd like! I'll be happy either way." You smiled at him.

"Oh no... now I have to think about what to get... Want a souvenir? Or some food?? Or like.."

"Hmm.. a bracelet?"

"A bracelet?"

"Yeah! I heard they have really nice bracelets there for a low price!"

"I'll try to get you one then!" He smiled at you, he looked at the time, then sighed. "Well, I gotta go now... You're gonna be alone in class for a bit, won't you? Both of us are going!"

You chuckled, "I'll try to survive... Anyway..." You sighed, "I'll see you. Good luck on your mission, also tell him that for me since he isn't here right now."

He nodded, smiling. "I'll see you, Y/N!"

"Stay safe, Yu!"

...

You were now looking at his body, laid on a table in the clinic in front of you. Shoko was sitting beside him, as tears spilled out of her eyes. Geto standing beside you, looking down at his body with an expression you couldn't pinpoint. It wasn't like him. It was eerie.

You stood there, trying to take it all in. "How did..." You mumbled, turning your head to face Nanami, ever so slowly. As if you didn't want to hear what happened to him, as if you couldn't bear it.

"How did this all happen..?" You asked, biting the inside of your cheek as he explained, how the higherups gave them a mission for a grade two spirit, but it turned out to be a higher ranking cursed spirit. The higherups, as always, wasted the lives of sorcerers. You always knew that. You always heard about that. But for it  to now impact you so closely, to someone so dear to you... A growing hatred began to foster in your heart at this very moment.

You looked back at Haibara, as you drew a deep, shuddering breath. You couldn't help it as tears started to spill out of your eyes. You looked down at the floor, and your tears fell, drop by drop. 

You looked back up at him, when something fell out from his pocket and made a click sound as it landed on the ground.

Your eyes slowly looked at what had fallen, and you saw a bracelet, lying on the floor. You bent down slowly, picking it up. It was a dainty pearl bracelet, and a note was attached.

"I asked the girl selling these, and she said it brings good luck! So, I hope this brings you good luck, Y/N. - Yu"

You started sobbing quietly, crouched on the ground. You buried your head in your knees, as you held the bracelet in one hand. You felt so weak, so helpless, and just so utterly useless. If only the higherups sent you with them. If only they had some care for their lives.

Satoru walked in, immediately shuddering as he saw Haibara's body.

He slowly walked closer, giving Nanami a pat on the shoulder, then walking to Haibara and stood beside you.

Around half an hour passed, you all just standing and sitting there, not knowing what to think.

Mourning.

As you were about to leave, you looked at Haibara, smiling weakly. 

"Thank you for the bracelet, Yu... I'll keep it with me, forever." A few tears continued to spill out, as you looked away, Geto drew a white sheet over his face now.

(IK originally he's not clothed while covered by the white sheet, but you could kind of consider this to be preceding that moment before he's like examined and whatnot.)

The following day, Haibara's funeral was held. You wore a modest, black dress, also wearing the pearl bracelet he had gotten you. Satoru was waiting for you, outside your room. You were back at your house, your teacher and Mr. Yaga had given the students a few days off for mourning.

You stepped outside, looking up at Satoru. He looked at the bracelet you were wearing, and noticed how you had puffy eyes. He frowned, worried for you, then noticed how your eyes were beginning to get watery once more. He pulled you in for a hug, kissing the top of your head as he pat your head gently, whispering "It's okay... It's okay..." Almost reassuring himself as well when he said that to you. "I'm right here for you... It's okay." He gave you another kiss, as you sniffled and nodded.

He held your hand, as you two walked to the car. This time, it was your driver taking you two. Your car arrived in front of the funeral house, and you two got out the car. He held your hand, as his words rang in your ears, trying to keep yourself from crying.

Shoko and Nanami were there, and Geto was yet to come. You hugged both Shoko and Nanami, Satoru doing the same, and soon after, Geto came. 

The funeral proceedings began, and after a few hours, you and Satoru were making your way home. Satoru asked you gently, "Do you... want me to stay with you today?"

You smiled weakly, nodding, and Satoru smiled at you, "Okay... I'll be right here..."

You were so glad you had Satoru there for you.

And Shoko.

And Nanami.

And Suguru.

...

You stood in front of your teacher, Ms. Kanei, with Nanami by your side.

"Suguru..." She mumbled, sighing, "He killed... all 112 residents of a village... including his parents."

...

And... Suguru.