Chapter 12 (Syrup Village Arc: Part 3)

The crew was fully prepared for the fight, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the enemy. But then...

"Do you hear that?" Nami asked.

Everyone strained to listen, picking up distant yells.

"There are yells coming from the north," Nami reported.

"Oh man, I forgot... there's another slope like this to the north," Usopp panicked.

"The north..." Shiki muttered.

"I'll be there in three seconds," Luffy declared, darting away.

"Damnit, Luffy!" Shiki cried out.

"What's wrong?" Zoro inquired.

"Luffy thinks that the colder it gets means that he's entering the north. That's why I always stick with him," Shiki explained.

Nami sweatdropped. "Is your brother just dumb or something?"

Shiki shrugged and ran after Luffy.

"Oi, Shiki, come back! We can't defend without you guys... hey, Shiki... hey!" Usopp's cries went unanswered.

Back at the slope...

"All this for nothing," Usopp muttered.

Then, Nami realized something. "Our boats are at the north shore... the treasure," she exclaimed, and began to run. However, she slipped on the oil, dragging Zoro down with her. Zoro managed to grab hold of the slope with his teeth.

"Sorry," Nami apologized as she stepped on Zoro. "Excuse me! I know you understand my predicament," she said, before sliding down to the bottom and running away.

"Damn you, witch!" Zoro yelled after her.

Meanwhile, the Black Cat Pirates were about to climb up the oddly identical slope when they were bombarded with a hail of pachinko balls.

"Stop right there!" Usopp commanded.

"Who are you?" one of the pirates asked.

"I am the great Captain Usopp! Leave now or my crew of 8,000 men will take you out," Usopp proclaimed.

"8,000 men! Really!" Jango exclaimed.

"Yes, so stand down or face the wrath of my crew," Usopp said arrogantly.

"Captain Jango, sir... I think it's a lie," one of the men whispered nervously.

"Oh, right," Jango realized.

"Where are Luffy and Shiki? I thought they would be here by now," Usopp wondered aloud.

Elsewhere on the island...

Luffy and Shiki found themselves in town, realizing they hadn't gone in the right direction.

"I don't think we went in the right direction..." Luffy remarked.

"Ya think?" Shiki replied sarcastically.

Back at the slope, the Black Cat Pirates observed the three standing defiantly, or at least most of them.

"Captain Jango, sir, we're finished with the suspicious boat... there's treasure in here... 4 or 5 million berries..." reported a pirate who had searched the crew's small boats.

"4 or 5 million berries... why would they have that much money..." Usopp pondered.

Suddenly, an idea struck Usopp. "I got it," he exclaimed. "That's my treasure! If you leave now, I will give it to you."

Jango laughed. "You do realize that we will take the treasure and stay... after all, there's more treasure in town," he retorted.

Usopp realized his mistake and thought, 'That's right. Damn!'