Chapter 40 (Whiskey Peak Arc: Part 2)

Whisky Peak—a town renowned among many Marine bases and bounty hunters alike—is a place where every resident is a bounty hunter, regardless of gender or age. It's not uncommon for former bounty hunters or those with relatives in the Marines to be familiar with Whisky Peak. All the bounty hunters on the island turned their attention to the former bounty hunter pair on the rooftop.

"There seem to be about a hundred of them," said Zoro with a smirk. "I'll handle Baroque Works," he declared.

All the bounty hunters froze.

"How do you know?" asked Mr. 9, shocked.

"I used to be a bounty hunter myself," Zoro revealed. "They called me Pirate Hunter Roronoa Zoro. I was offered to join, but I declined."

"Did you really have to mention that?" questioned a random bounty hunter.

"Yes," Zoro replied with a smirk. While the horde of bounty hunters was distracted, he leaped down from the rooftop and blended in among them.

"He's gone!" yelled Mr. 8.

That's when they noticed.

"So, you want to fight?" asked Zoro with a smile.

"Get him!" yelled a random bounty hunter as many aimed at the former bounty hunter. However, he disappeared before they could fire.

"He's fast!" exclaimed another random bounty hunter.

Zoro reappeared behind Mr. 8, placing his sword against his hair.

While most of the bounty hunters focused their attacks on Mr. 8, Zoro managed to evade them and Mr. 8 attacked with a saxophone-like gun in the confusion.

Zoro spotted a gunman and ducked into a building. He encountered Ms. Monday on the rooftop and defeated her before holding her by the forehead and releasing her, causing her to fall.

Mr. 8, Mr. 9, and Ms. Wednesday looked at Zoro and realized something—he wasn't the one with the bounties, not Luffy and Shiki.

Zoro dealt with the last but three (excluding the two who had hitched a ride and the "mayor"), prompting Mr. 8 to aim his Saxophone Gun at Zoro, who dodged and observed the scene below. He couldn't help but sweatdrop when Ms. Wednesday called her duck named Carue.

"Is she serious?" muttered Zoro.

A laugh echoed, "I wouldn't turn my back if I were you…"

Mr. 9 charged towards Zoro, and they engaged in combat. Zoro then turned and saw Ms. Wednesday tending to Carue. He decided to deal with Mr. 9 before turning his attention to Ms. Wednesday, which he did easily as Mr. 9 made the mistake of flipping himself over the building.

"Today is the day you die!" declared Ms. Wednesday.

Zoro smirked. "Not on my watch."

Ms. Wednesday smirked back. "Then just take a look at my outfit," she taunted.

Zoro's eye twitched as he turned around and began to walk away.

"Where do you think you're going?" yelled Ms. Wednesday.

"If you're just going to try to seduce me instead of fighting, then I'm out," replied Zoro, continuing to walk away.

Ms. Wednesday's eyes twitched. "I'll make you take me seriously."

She brandished a weapon called a Peacock Slasher and rode Carue towards Zoro. However, she missed him, and Carue ran off the building.

Then, Mr. 8 showed up. He pulled on his tie, revealing guns in his hair, and shot at Zoro, who leaped into a hole he had made earlier while fighting several bounty hunters. The hole led to a building, and Zoro escaped.

Meanwhile, in the house where the rest of the Straw Hats slept, Ms. Wednesday smirked with Carue by her side. They entered the room, unaware of the tripwire. As she set it off, she grabbed the sleeping captain to use as a hostage.

At that moment, Shiki felt the tripwire go off and stopped mid-sentence.

"Shiki, what's wrong?" asked Nami.

"The tripwire went off," said Shiki. "Nami, climb on my back!" he commanded.

Nami nodded, and Shiki carried her on his back as he rushed back towards the town.

Meanwhile, Zoro found himself trapped. He was bound by a steel rope from Mr. 9's bat, while Mr. 8 aimed his hair guns at him, and Ms. Wednesday held Luffy hostage.