Chapter 57 (Drum Island Arc: Part 7)

Sanji stared at Luffy and Shiki, an awkward silence settling among them. They knew it was their fault Wapol got away.

"When did he get away?" asked Shiki and Luffy simultaneously.

Sanji’s eyebrows twitched in irritation.

"When you were so preoccupied with what Chopper was doing," replied Sanji.

"Why that dirty…" muttered Shiki.

"Come on, let’s get him!" yelled Luffy.

The D Brothers dashed into the castle.

"Oh no! Nami's in there!" yelled Sanji, running in after them.

Inside, they saw Wapol—who was now inexplicably skinny—about to eat Nami. Shiki swiftly kicked him away.

"When did he get skinny?" asked Shiki.

Shiki then turned his attention to Luffy and Nami but couldn’t help laughing. Luffy, having ripped off one of Nami's jacket sleeves to keep the flag up, was getting scolded by her. She calmed down and then told him he owed her three times that amount, plus interest.

"Shiki, it's not funny!" yelled Luffy.

"Well, you should have realized that when you borrowed her clothes," laughed Shiki.

Luffy pouted at this.

"Enough!" yelled Wapol.

The three turned their attention to him, seeing him standing before a large set of doors.

"Inside this room is my full arsenal. I will eat everything within it, merge it with my body, and become the ultimate weapon!" declared Wapol with a laugh.

All three of the Straw Hats stared at him.

"Now to open it!" said Wapol, only to find the key to the room was missing. An awkward silence followed.

"I'm not finished yet," he said.

"Hey, get back here!" yelled both Luffy and Shiki, chasing after him up a large flight of stairs and into one of the towers. They pursued him into a room with a giant hippo-shaped cannon.

"Prepare to die, Straw Hat and Monkey Boy!" said Wapol.

"Hey, it’s Demon King!" yelled Shiki.

Wapol began flipping a lever that would activate the cannon, but something unexpected happened—it didn’t work. A flock of snowbirds emerged from the cannon instead.

"Why are you mocking me! I am your ruler! I am king!" yelled Wapol to the mother snowbird.

Luffy grabbed Wapol’s face, "I don’t care if you’re king or not… there are more important things about power."

Shiki smirked when Luffy said that.

Outside, with Chopper, Dr. Kureha, and Rumi:

"Dr. Kureha, Rumi… they… both of them… called me their friend," said Chopper quietly.

Rumi smiled. "Those two are amazing… especially that boy, Monkey D. Shiki. I had forgotten what it means to be a Monarch… what it really means. I was bitter, resenting who I was… because THEY wanted to be a Monarch. It’s not just about clones, seals, power, skill… it’s also about protecting your loved ones and standing up for what you believe in," said Rumi. "Looks like I lost another bet."

Meanwhile, the villagers got a ropeway set up, and the remaining Straw Hats, Dalton, and a whole lot of townspeople were on a rope to the mountain.

Dalton began to have flashbacks from when he worked for Wapol. "Who cares about status, who cares about being king?" yelled Dalton.