With Each Flaw || Hirugami Sachirou

Hirugami Sachirou always strived for perfection.

Ever since he saw the way his older brother got into prestigious schools, well-known to be the star athlete, beating even his upperclassmen — Sachirou believed he could do the same. He always adored volleyball. Seeing how those boys and girls his age flying so high to either block the incoming ball, or spike through the opponent's field.

It was always a mesmerising sight. Especially the tears in those eyes after a match. Whether their team wins or lose, each drop of it becoming a proof of their hard work.

He wanted to be a part of it so bad. To feel the euphoria, the fiery emotion of those who play volleyball passionately. It took him years to realise that maybe, he wasn't cut out for it.

His calloused fingers subconsciously caressed his left knuckles. Covered with gauze as he once again, accidentally scraped the back of his hand to the stone walls he passed when he walked home from school.

If Hoshiumi heard about it, oh he knew he was in for a scolding. That friend of his wasn't really the quiet type of guy. But he could be like a little angry bird yapping about how he shouldn't have done it.

Sure Hoshiumi was calm and collected when he first saw the middle blocker do it for the first time back in the day. But when he found his friend did it again sometimes, he would grit his teeth and shout at him to take care of it.

It wasn't like Hirugami was a man who liked to hurt himself. The act was more like some kind of punishment to himself. His subconscious mind did it. Whenever he felt like a failure that day. Probably from not being able to focus one hundred percent at practise or feeling god damn awful at some sparring match with another school.

Just like today. Stupidly, just like today, of all the time this week.

It was the time where you would visit him. The last time he saw you was three months ago. Before the start of Spring High-Nagano Prefecture Representative Playoffs. Now, Kamomedai has of course made it to the top 16, and will be participating in the Spring High National Tournament.

He wondered if you would be there too. Supporting your high school. Just like how you always did back when you wore the same uniform as his.

"I will miss you."

The day finally came. Hirugami thought he would be ready for this moment. "It's weird to not be able to go to school with you, Sachi." But as he hugged you tight, patting your head to ease your mind as you sob in his arms, he realised he wasn't.

"Hey now, it's just a four hour ride between us."

You had known him since diapers. Your house was basically side by side, spending every day together as both of your parents had been best friends since your family moved here. But now, you have to move again. Your father got a promotion and was assigned to Tokyo.

There was nothing you could do but follow them. Much to your dismay.

It was time for you to go. But your parents let you say goodbye to the Hirugami family. They knew how much you cherished your time here. Your childhood was a great one, filled with laughter and love from a lot of people. So for you to leave it behind, leaving Sachirou behind — it would need time for you to adjust to your new life.

The sun hadn't even come out from its hiding place. No one could see the tears glossed in his chocolate orbs as he kept you there in his embrace. The sky was still dark. And none of you had the heart to let go of each other. "We will text each other, (Y/n). You don't have to worry about anything."

You nodded. He could feel it with the way your head was still snuggled deep on his chest. "I'm not going anywhere."

He felt like his heart was so close to failing. Hirugami thought he would have time to be with you. He already made sure no boys ever get too close to you. His figure by your side was enough to intimidate them. But now, you would be a hundred miles apart.