Prologue

Prologue

Pain. Endless pain. The hole in my heart has grown bigger over the years, leaving a wound well beyond repair. He's the only one who can mend it, make me whole again. i need him like i need air.

I slowly hobble the living room and lie down on the old beaten down sofa, my bones aching and cracking as I do so. I rest my head on the old pillow, my long, frizzy silver hair resting on my shoulders. Between my wrinkled fingers I clutch a picture of my love, Finnick, and I. He was taken away from me much too soon, much too young. I've waited my entire life to be reunited with him. The only reason I've survived this long is because of Percy. Our son is a man now, married and moved on. It's finally time to see my Finn again. To throw myself into his arms, to never let him go, to rest my head on his shoulder and watch the blue sky fade to pink. Be together for the rest of eternity. I take a deep breath, I can feel myself slowly fading from this world and into the next. I look at the picture one last time. It's of Finnic and I as children, the day we first met. What an amazing day that was. I knew since that day that he was special. I squeeze my eyes shut, wanting nothing more to be with Finnick. My heart had longed for him for far to many years. I knew he was waiting for me, we promised that whatever happened, we would stay together. I start to remember all the great times with him, I wish I could go back to that time. When we were young, when it was just him and I. When nothing else mattered. I could feel myself slowly slipping back into the past, back into my childhood.

~Mockingjay Annabeth Weasley