Chapter 15

Broken Lovers

Chapter 15

I stare at the man; mouth agape. This isn't happening. It can't be true. He's lying.

"Lies," I mutter.

"I'm not lying, my dear I promise you that I'm telling you the truth. My younger brother was her father, your grandpa."

I opened my mouth then shut it without speaking many times. My mouth felt dry and I couldn't form words.

"Annie, I know this is a lot to digest and I want you to think on it. I've just got word from the doctors that you're needed down in Finnick's room. He's completed his treatment and just needs one quick memory test before we send you two home. Here, let me take you to him," he offered.

I slowly rise and follow my "great uncle" I'm not really sure if he's telling me the truth or not but I'm going to have to trust him, or make it look like I do at least. It would be valuable to have his trust, at least for now. Blatant rudeness could get me killed, "family relation" or not.

I quietly follow him from the garden, my insides frozen at the thought of Finnick. What if it didn't work? What if I never get him back? What if he never remembers me?

I silently freak out until we reach Finnick's room, where the president leaves me.

"Goodbye my dear, I hope to see you before you leave tomorrow, but I cannot promise anything. I've waited a long time for this day. Although the circumstances of our reunion were grave, I believe things have turned out for the better, in more ways than one. Until next time," President Snow said, extending his hand to me.

Nervously, I reach out my arm and shake his hand. He flashes a small, creepy smile before turning on his heel and walking back in the direction we came from.

My hands shaking, I slowly push the door open to Finn's room. I open it just a crack an hear voices. I pause to listen.

"... very good Mr Odair. Now, lets move on to more personal things. How many people are in your family?" Someone asks.

"Well there used to be four, but now only two. Three I guess, if you count Annie. I count Annie of course, I love Annie," Finnick responds.

My heart flips as I listen to Finnick speak. I haven't heard that voice in so long, it was his voice. Not the confused, uncertain voice he's had since he woke up, but the old Finnick. My Finnick.

"Can you tell me about Annie?" The same man from before asks.

"Well I'm one year older than her, but we are in the training academy together. I saved her life three years ago and we've been best friends ever since. She has long, wavy brown hair and beautiful jade eyes. She is the most important person in my life and I love her, I'm certain of that. What kind of love, I don't know yet. All I know is I would rather die than ever be apart from her again."

I feel tears welling up in my eyes as he spoke. I loved him too.

Not being able to handle it any longer, I push the door open and run to my best friend. His eyes brighten as I run in, his arms open. I throw myself into them, missing the warm embrace of my best friend. Endless tears roll down both of our faces as we embrace, not a word spoken since I entered. We sit for a long time, not daring to leave each other again.

"I missed you," I mumbled into his neck.

"I missed you too," he replied.

"Don't ever leave me again," I whispered.

"Never," he promised.

The doctors left, sensing we wanted time alone. I crawled onto the bed with Finnick and began filling him in on everything he had missed.

I told him about my new friends, Landon and Lane. I explained what happened after he lost conciseness. Eventually, I told him about the president. He quietly listened to my retelling of this mornings events, never interrupting. When I was finally finished, Finnick only stared at me.

"Ann-" he began.

"No Finn, I don't want to discuss this here. I'm 99% sure they are listening to our conversation right now. You very well know your opinion can get you killed. Not till we are at home," I whispered gently.

Finnick nodded slowly, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips.

"What?" I laughed.

"I'm just so glad to be back, to have you back," he grinned.

I hugged him quickly before getting up.

"Come on, let's go."

Finn and I spent the rest of the night in my room, drinking hot chocolate and staring down at the shining Capitol. Now that my reason to live was back, everything was better. The lights were brighter, the music was better, the food was tastier. I was happy knowing that the missing piece of my life was found.

******************************************

We travelled home the next morning, being away from the district for over three weeks. It was the middle of July when we returned, having only a day left before holidays were over and training resumed. Landon and Lane met us at the justice hall, grinning as we arrived. I missed the pair of them so much.

After hearing all my stories, Finnick was anxious to meet the boys. They immediately hit it off and the four of us became a group. It wasn't just me and Finn against the world now and I was glad for in the nation of Panem, you can never have too many people willing to fight with their lives to protect you.

Hope you enjoyed :D sorry for such late updates >_<

~Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley