Chapter 23

Broken Lovers

Chapter 23

"Wake up Finnick! Up, up, up, it's going to be a big, big day!" Sashene shrieked. I let out a groan and sat up, mildly confused.

"Get up Finnick! Don't bother getting dressed, just come for breakfast. Now!" She said irritatedly.

I squinted at Sashene for a few seconds before rubbing my eyes. I stood up, pulled yesterday's T-shirt over my head, and silently followed Sashene out to breakfast.

We met Janie in the hallway, her eyes looked tired and bloodshot. I admired in Janie so much. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of winning, the thought of going home. Janie was going in knowing she would die. She has accepted the fact that this day was her last and yet she was still fighting. She was fighting for me. Janie was the bravest person I knew, she was so strong. I truly owed her my life.

"Now you two, its decision time!" Announced Mags. "Will you train together or apart today?"

"Together," I said immediately. "I mean that's if you want to Janie."

"Yea sure, Finnick, I would love too but wouldn't it be more beneficial for both if we went apart? I mean, we would get more time to prepare for each area. Is it okay with you if we train alone?"

"Yea, when you say it like that, it makes so much sense. Mags, we will train alone please."

"Sounds good. Finnick, you will learn etiquette from Sashene first. Janie, you come with me. Lunch will be in 3 hours, where we will eat together and then switch."

"Finnick my dear, come on. This is going to be so fantastic!" She screamed, grabbing my wrist and dragging me from the room.

----------------------------------------------------------

"No! Chest out! Look strong and confident. Finnick, you have the looks to melt any girls heart. Use them!" Sashene demanded.

I rolled my eyes and popped my chest out more.

"Better ?" I asked sarcastically.

"Perfect, now stand taller. You're here to win Finnick! Act like it!"

I groaned and flopped down on a chair, admitting defeat.

"Finnick! You can't-"

"Lunch!" Mags called, poking her head in the door.

Letting out a sigh of relief, I scrambled up and out of the room with Mags.

"Now Finnick, we need to pick a view for your interview," Mags announced after we had eaten.

"Umm I don't know. I'm not really charming or funny," I replied quietly.

"That's a matter of opinion, my boy," Mags laughed. "Now, I think I have a good idea."

"What?" I asked excitedly.

"Heart aching lover."

I look at her, confusion etched on my face. Sensing I was lost, Mags continued.

"Look, everyone saw you say goodbye to Annie at the train station in District 4. They all heard you promise to come back. Ceaser will DEFINITELY ask what that was about. You need to milk it. Make them believe that your sole purpose for winning is this mysterious girl that has stolen your heart."

I tried to speak multiple times but no words would come out. my mouth felt dry and I was unable to form words. I nodded slowly, before dropping my head into my knees and covering it with my hands.