Chapter 37

Broken Lovers

Chapter 37

A month slowly drifted by, as did our friendship with Finnick. He was becoming so consumed with his new friends that he had no time left for us. It had gotten to the point where every time we saw him, he was too busy for us. Too busy for me.

"Guys, it's okay," Lane said. We had all gathered at the Walker house after the training academy. Almost all of us.

"No it's not!" I exclaimed. "He's gone! He left us for them. He doesn't care about us anymore."

"Annie, don't say that," Landon attempted to reason. "He's just found some new friends. It's no biggie."

"Yea," Ariella chimed in. "It's like me and Jendaiya. You guys accepted us and look at how close we are now. That worked out pretty great."

"But did you leave another group of friends in the process?" I snapped.

There was no reply.

"Look, guys. I'm sorry. It's just, we've known each other for five years. He's my boyfriend and I haven't had more than a minute conversation with him in two weeks! I thought he liked me, but now I honestly don't know what to believe."

A sense if defeat flooded my body. I had been keeping these feelings locked inside for a while now. I never wanted to admit it, I just kept telling myself that it would get better and he would come back.

"Wait," Lane said slowly.

"What?"

"Did you say Finnick was still your boyfriend?"

"Yea. We haven't broken up yet. It's probably only cause he hasn't spent enough time with me to get the words out," I said sadly.

"That's awesome! If he hasn't done that yet, it means he still wants to be with us! Maybe we just need to begin the conversations instead o waiting for him to come to us."

This time it was me that was speechless.

-------------------------------------

Together, we entered the training academy with a sense of determination. We WOULD get our friend back. I would become one again with Finnick. I had to.

"Okay guys, today's the day!" Lane said enthusiastically.

"What if he doesn't come back?" Jendaiya asked quietly.

"Positive thinking, my friend. Plus, how hard can he be to replace. He's only cool, funny, handsome, and probably the youngest victor in all of Panem. You can find that kinda guy anywhere."

"Lane," I groaned, rolling my eyes.

"Lane," he mimicked, attempting his best imitation of my voice.

I smiled, grateful for him, the little bit of sunshine in my seemingly stormy life.

-------------------------------------

I clicked the lock shut, turning swiftly away from my locker. I slung my bag over my shoulder, and stepped forward, waiting for Landon to e done.

My eyes widened as I saw Finnick strutting down the hallway, flanked my Richard and Caleb. As they got closer, Finnick met my eyes. My muttered something to the boys before veering towards me.

"Hey," he murmured once he reached me.

"Hi," I whispered.

"How are you?"

"Umm, these something I wanna talk to you about," I said nervously.

Glancing back at his friends, he said. "Fine, but can you make it quick?"

"Uhh yea, sure. I wanted to ask about us."

"What about us?" He demanded impatiently.

"Are we still in a relationship?"

"Annie," his voice broke.

"Come on, man!" Caleb called.

"I gotta go. I can't answer that right now. Bye," he said quickly before spinning on his heel and walking away.

"Don't feel the need to, cause I will. The answers no. We're not. We're over, Finnick. I'm done with you."

The words left me breathless, every syllable more painful then the last.

As I watched him walk away, the pain in my heart grew more excruciating, like I could feel each fragment of my heart break off.

I stifled a sob as the door groaned shut. He didn't look back, not even once.

Hey guys! Sorry for the short chapter. I just thought that was a good place to end. Fannie is officially sunk. Thoughts??

~Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley