Chapter 42

Broken Lovers

Chapter 42

"Boyfriend alert," Natasha laughed, nonchalantly motioning to Landon, attempting to approach sneakily behind me. I giggled as he hugged me from behind, kissing my cheek. I turned my head and place a quick kiss on his lips.

"EWWWWW PDA THAT'S NASTY GUYS WE'RE IN PUBLIC!" Lane screamed, successfully attracting the attention of every district citizen visiting the beach today.

Lane smirked as my face turns a deep shade of scarlet.

"Lane! What the hell?" I hissed.

He just shrugged, lying down in the sand beside Ariella.

"Guys, I hate to bring this up now, but I'm really worried," I said slowly.

"Annie, for the last time!" Landon reassured. "We all know the 67 Hunger Games are coming up, but we aren't worried. We are very well trained here now. We always have volunteers. Snow can't force anyone into the reaping. Even he can't predict the outcomes."

"I just have a bad feeling about this year. The announcement is today, and I'm scared."

"What announcement?" Jendaiya asked.

"President Snow mentioned there would be one regarding this years games during Ceaser's show last week," Natasha replied.

"It's gonna be okay, An. It's not a Quarter Quell. He can't rig it," Landon said, pulling me tighter to him.

"We all know he can do whatever he wants, that's why we fear him. And as long as we have fear of him, we can't beat him."

*later that night*

"Annie, calm down," Landon whispered, running his hands through my hair as I rested my head in his lap.

"He doesn't forgive, Landon! He keeps his grudges until he can pull off the perfect revenge! He promised he would hurt me, make me wish I was dead. I believe he will do that."

"He already did! He put Finnick in the Hunger Games two years ago!" Landon reasoned.

"Guys, quiet!" Ariella interrupted. "It's starting!"

All 6 of us immediately became silent, staring at the seal as it flashed across the television.

President Snow's snake like face soon took its place, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Hello, Panem!" He boomed. "As we all know, the reaping for the 67 Hunger Games takes place tomorrow. In the past few years, the same districts keep winning. They are the ones with volunteer tributes. In attempt to end this streak, a new rule is being out into place this year. Tonight, we will pick a random man and woman between the ages of 12-18 from each of the 12 districts. These will be your volunteer tributes. Only these people will have the opportunity to volunteer. The public reaping will happen as usual, and if the volunteer does not step forward, the reaped will be presented as tribute. That is all. Happy Hunger Games, and May the odds be ever in your favour!"

I stared at the screen, my mouth hanging open. This would be his revenge. He would make sure me, of my friends got reaped so we would have to go in. It was foolproof.

I held my breath as the president strode over to the glass spheres containing the names of the District 4 citizens.

"The male volunteer from District 4 is," the President paused, selecting a slip of paper. "Will Roes!"

He quickly moved to the girls bowl and withdrew a slip of paper. "The female volunteer from District 4 is, Ariella Kabe!"

Landon flipped the television off, and we sat in silence for a long time.

"Guys, I may be missing something, but this seems good right? If she doesn't volunteer, she's safe," Lane pointed out.

I thought about it, considering the probability of that working out. I knew, with my luck, something far worse was gonna happen tomorrow, and I would be losing someone important to me, one way or another.

~Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley