Chapter 1

As I crossed the old wooden dock towards the boat, the boards creak and groan under my feet.

"Are you sure you want to do this Annie?" My father asked, his voice full of concern.

"Yes Father, I am. I've lived in district 4 my entire life and never been on the water. Plus, I'm not going into the water, I'm staying on the boat" I replied.

"Your only 7 years old Annie. You don't need to learn to swim at your age, you have plenty of time. You know that I can't swim. What would I ever do if you fell in?" He reasoned. "I'll be safe daddy. And like I said, I'm not swimming. I won't leave the boat. I promise," I smiled, climbing into the boat, "it's time dad." My father climbed in after me, a grim look on his face. I could tell he didn't approve of this but I didn't care, it's time I see the water. The kids in my year at school always talked about how great it was to be on the ocean. To have the soft, salty breeze press against your face. According to them, there isn't a better feeling in the world. I need to know for myself. My father slipped his finger through the rope, undoing the knot. He started up the engine and we set adrift off the docks of District 4.

The boat sliced through the water, sending up an array of salty spray behind us. A grin broke across my face as I felt the cool, salty breeze whipping my long brown hair around my head. I finally understood what my classmates were talking about. This was an experience i would never forget. From far in the distance, i heard the sweet song of the mockingays. They repeated the simple tunes they heard from the fishing HQ. Three short notes, like they were singing today, meant a clear, sunny day. A perfect afternoon to fish. My family, however, don't fish. We only make the nets that the fishers use. My father is the most known net maker in all of district 4. I glance over to my father and I catch him grinning. He is obviously enjoying himself as much as I am. The boat rocked, sending waves of butterflies through my stomach. As we speed across the ocean, different docks and ports came into view. Every dock was overflowing with fishers, each trying to catch enough to support his/her family. Today was one of the only good, promising days left to fish, as they have predicted a huge storm to come soon. "Dad! This is so fun!" I exclaimed, rising to my feet. "Annie, NO!" He yelled, halting the boat dead in its tracks. I reached out my hand but it was to late. I started to fall forwards and i had nothing to grab onto. I brushed fingers with my father as he extended his arm. He extended his hand a bit more, enabling me to grab it. Just as I reached out, the boat moved again. This time, the current was strong. My knees buckled, sending me toppling into the deep blue abyss.

There is chapter 1. Please leave feedback :D

~Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley