Chapter 54

Broken Lovers

Chapter 54

Rocky and I moved together through the frozen forest, large packs hung off both of our backs. I knew as well as he did that today was our last day in the arena. Theoretically, I could have killed Rocky now while I had his trust, but that would have make me a huge target for the two other tributes. My best hope of survival was stabbing Rocky directly after he makes the death blow on the final tribute.

Suddenly, a cannon boomed through the arena.

"And then there were three," he murmured.

I heard something running through the woods towards us, but that became the least of my worries as Rocky turned to face me.

"You knew there would only be one winner, Jendaiya."

"Rocky, what are you doing?" I asked, panic rising in my voice.

"We can't both make it out alive, Sweetheart," he responded, pulling a bow and arrow from his pack.

"It was you!" I screamed. "At the beginning! You shot James!"

He laughed deeply, shooting me a malicious smirk.

"You asshole! I trusted you! I trusted you, and you were the one I've been scared of the whole time!"

"Yeah, I killed that little creep. Now I'm going to kill you, then whoever else stands in my way of winning these games!"

"No, please!" I begged. "I need to go home!"

"It was nice knowing you, Sweetheart," he muttered before letting go of the arrow he had notched.

It flew through the air for only seconds before burying itself deep in my chest. My knees grew week before buckling under the weight of my body.

A groan sounded from deep inside my chest as my limp frame made contact with the snow. The last thing I heard before my world faded away was the haunting boom of a cannon. And it wasn't mine.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Ariella's PoV

Everything I thought I knew about the world was wrong. I thought that bad things eventually came to an end and someday everything would be perfect. It was obvious now how stupid I was to ever believe that to be true.

Just seconds ago, my best friend was shot by a man she trusted to protect her.

Tears blurred my vision, but I noticed another figure run across the screen. It was Will, the other tribute from our district.

"She trusted you!" Will screamed in Rocky's face. "How could you kill her?"

"Like you wouldn't have when the time came," Rocky spat.

Will opened his mouth to retort, but the words were forced back into him as an arrow pierced his neck.

His cannon boomed before he hit the ground, and was directly followed by Jendaiya's.

Lane tried to comfort me, but there is nothing anyone could do that will make this better.

I got to my feet and ran from the house. I didn't stop until I reached the ocean. I collapsed into the sand, sobs racking my chest. The sun eventually sunk into the darkness, but I didn't move. A piece of me died today, and it was all for some stupid game.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Finnick's PoV

I stormed though President Snow's mansion, flipping off every peacekeeper who dared try to stop me. I shove open the French doors leading into the garden to find the President of Panem sitting among his roses.

"How dare you?" I demand.

"Welcome, Mr Odair," he says softly.

"You we're supposed to protect her! That was the deal!"

"I couldn't interfere so directly with the games, Finnick. You should know that."

"We had a deal, and you let her die! How could you let her die?"

"I suggest you stop now before you find yourself in some real trouble," Snow warns.

"There is nothing you can do to hurt me anymore!"

"We'll see," he murmured, before returning his attention to the trimming of a single white rose.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I have missed you all so much! I can't believe I have been gone for so long, and I promise it won't happen again!

Please vote and let me know what you guys thought of the chapter 😊

I love you guys!

~Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley