Chapter 26

Broken Lovers

Chapter 26

I slept restlessly that night. I could only sleep for about half an hour before I woke up in a panic, cold sweat soaking my shirt. I was paranoid that someone was outside, waiting for us to come out. I was grateful when dawn finally broke in the arena. Since Janie and I were sleeping vertically to the door, I didn't have to wake her in order to climb out.

I breathed in the fresh air as I stepping out of our cave. It became really stuffy in there overnight; I hadn't noticed it until I stepped out. The last of the ash was erased from the air overnight so the sky was bright and clear. I stood peering over the cornucopia, watching the artificial sky change color. My heart leapt when I came to the realization that the cornucopia was empty. Besides the blood stains on the grass, you would never have known anyone had been there. The question pounded at my head. Where had the careers gone? They could be anywhere in the arena. They had to have a large camp because all the supplies were missing but where had they put it?

I was shaken from my thought by the unmistakable sound of soft crunching footsteps behind me. Someone was there. I stood there, weaponless and alone. I couldn't bring them into the cave, I couldn't expose Janie. She would find out that I had died and try to win for me, and that was what needed to happen. District 4 would have a winner this year, one way or another. Slowly, I turned around to face my attacker.

Annies PoV

I knawed on my thumbnail as I sat in the Walker's basement, my eyes fixed on the small television. I, along with my four friends, had been sitting in the dark room since 10 o'clock this morning, 4 hours before the games officially began. The only light came from the small TV perched on a stand, and that was the way we all preferred it. The last thing I wanted was light, it was too cheerful. The bloodbath was about to start any minute. This was it. I would see Finnick again. I would helplessly watch my best friend, the love of my life, fight to the death with 22 other malicious tributes.

The Capitol seal flashed across the screen and was soon replaced by the grinning image of Ceaser Flickerman. His bright yellow hair stood out immensely against his purple tuxedo. The Capitol's fashion sense made me sick to my stomach.

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the 65th Hunger games! This year, 24 amazing tributes have joined us in the Capitol with the honor of representing their districts in this years games! I'm here with my good friend, Claudius Templesmith, and we will be this years commentators for the 65th Hunger Games. Ah! The tributes are rising in their tubes! It's time to start!" Ceaser screamed excitedly.

I held my breath as the camera angles switched, revealing the arena. It was an apocalyptic wasteland. Dead forests, fungus filled lakes, small fires still burning. Behind the cornucopia lies a large city, blown to bits. A huge maze of buildings stood there, towering over the majority of trees. A small portion of land was still alive. Green trees grew over the bright grass, the forest alive with animals. Most people would go there, and that's exactly what the gamemakers wanted. Ab easy way to draw people together. 10 seconds remained on the clock before the landmines were deactivated. 10 seconds before the killing began. I slowly reached across the couch, grabbing Landon's hand and squeezed it in mine. I just needed to know someone was there for me. To reassure me that everything would be okay. The gong sounded and everyone jumped off their pedestals. Finnick sprinted in, beating everyone by at least a few meters. He quickly grabbed 2 large packs before sprinting away. He quickly dove behind his pedestal and waited.

"What's he doing?" Ariella screamed. "Janie," I muttered. "What?" Landon asked. "You mean the girl? His district partner?"

"Yea, her. They are in an alliance." Everyone looked at me like I had shot someone. I quickly explained my talk with Janie and her promise. I opened my mouth to speak again but I was interrupted by Jendaiya's loud scream. Panic flooded over me as I saw the District 9 male towering over Janie, raising a large axe. "No, please no," I whispered. I covered my face with my hands and tried as hard as I could not to cry. That was it; there was no way Janie could get out of this mess.

"No! Finnick!" Lane screamed. I slowly separated my fingers and began watching through them. I screamed when I saw Finnick running towards them, holding out a dagger. He began taunting the tribute, attempting to draw him away from Janie. An evil grin spread over his face and he began coming after Finnick. Landon squeezed my hand tighter as he approached Finnick, swinging his axe murderously. "Guys look!" Lane screamed, pointing his finger at a small figure slowly approaching the District 9 male. It was Janie, sporting a large machete. Finnick attempted to keep him oblivious to Janie as she positioned herself for the deathblow she was about to deliver to the unsuspecting tribute. A single slice and his head came off, dropping to the ground along with the rest of his body. Finnick quickly grabbed Janie's hand and the two of them fled the cornucopia.

"He did it," I sighed. I leaned over and laid down, my head on Landon's lap. I slowly wrapped my arms around myself, fresh tears glistening in my eyes.

"It's going to be okay, Annie. He's going to make it," Landon whispered reassuringly, stroking my hair gently. "Get some rest. We will wake you if anything happens to Finnick."

"No, I'm okay," I argued.

"You and I both know that you have barely slept since Finnick left. He will be okay. No one will hunt him down while the bloodbath is still going on. Plus, they are the only group that went to the Fallen City. They're safe." Admitting defeat, I slowly closed my eyes. I fought to stay awake but Landon was right, I was exhausted. For the first time in days, I felt comfortable. I relaxed my body and fell asleep in Landon's arms. For the first time in almost a week, nightmares didn't find me. I slept peacefully in Landon's lap, his presence the only thing keeping me from breaking. I couldn't do this anymore, not alone anyways.

I was shaken abruptly from my sleep, screams filling the basement. I shot up, freaking out completely. My eyes shot up to the TV and I saw Finnick standing alone on the top of the building him and Janie were camping at. "No!" I screamed! I continued to freak out but it didn't matter, nothing I did could warn Finnick about the figure exiting the shadows, a sword extended in their arms.

There you guys go Chapter 26! That will be the only chapter until tomorrow cause I am hanging out with Fireknives 6+ likes/reads and feedback for more

~ Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley