Chapter 52

Broken Lovers
Chapter 52

Jendaiya's PoV

Night falls over the arena just as we reach the cave. It's cramped and dark, but it provides the hiding spot we need to sleep without a guard.
As I remove the bag from my back, I slip a small knife from the top of it and drop it into the breast pocket of my jacket.
Glancing back at the boy, I find him watching me intently. I don't know if he saw me take the knife, but it doesn't matter. I refused to sleep anywhere near the brooding boy without some sort of protection.
"What's your name?" He barked.
"Jendaiya," I replied weakly.
"District?"
"4," I answered. "And yourself?"
"Rocky, District 7."
"Oh."
I stared mindlessly through the small cave opening into the raging blizzard. Even though my actions were concealed by my body, he still might have seen me take the knife.
"Jendaiya?" Rocky barked. "Lets go to sleep."
Glancing over, I find him already inside the thick black sleeping bag.
"Umm, it's okay. I can stay watch," I replied nervously.
"Do you trust me?" He demanded.
I said nothing.
"Well, I need you to learn to. From now on, were a team," he said, his voice softening. "I'm not going to hurt you."
"Okay," I squeaked.
"Come," he ordered, patting the area of sleeping bag beside him.
Cautiously, I made my way over to him. I easily slid my body in beside his, attempting to create as much distance between us as possible. Rocky moved closer, then retreated slightly after sensing my trepidation.
"Jendaiya, it's going to get cold," he reasoned.
"That's what the jackets are for," I replied rudely.
Ignoring my protest, he wrapped his arms around me and pulled my body into his. Despite the horrible feeling churning deep in my gut, I snuggled in a little closer. I didn't feel how cold I was until I was exposed to warmth.
Rocky's breathing began to slow as he fell asleep, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Rayla. James. I lost both of them today because I was too helpless to protect them. I just stood there. I don't know Rocky very well, but he's all I have now. He's strong, and will be my best bet at making it home. I need to go home. I need to tell Annie the truth about what's going on.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Finnick's PoV

"Bye, Finnick," the strange woman drawled, waving seductivly at me as she strode from the room.
I laid exhausted across the messy bed, dressed in only a thin pair of cotton pyjama pants. Horrible images of the past few hours flash through my brain, causing a violent shiver to ripple across my spine.
Breathing shakily, I grabbed the remote and turn on the games. My heart almost stopped as a large, heavily armed male tribute approached a cave. Jendaiya's cave.
Grinning maliciously, he pulled out a large knife and began making his way into the cave.
Suddenly, the boy tripped over what seemed like nothing and fell forward, driving the knife straight through his heart.
As the cannon booms, I feel a small buzz from my phone.

From: President Snow
You keep your word, I keep mine. Next visitor tomorrow night, 7pm

Screaming, I whipped my phone into the wall. My body breaks into uncontrollable sobs as I fall back into the bed, curling up into a fetal position.
I love them. I love her. That's why I'm doing this. To keep them safe. To keep her safe.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I'm back!!! Hope you enjoyed! Please vote and leave me some feedback!
Love you all!
~ Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley