Chapter 5

Broken Lovers
Chapter 5

Dawn broke on the day of April 31st. Finnick and I met up in our normal spot at the beach, relaxing together as we watched the slowly shifting sky. I clung tightly to his shirt, resting my head on his chest.
"Annie, are you okay," Finnick asked, a note of concern in his voice.
"Yea, Finn, I'm okay I guess. I just want to spend these last few days with you before you're taken away from me," I whispered.
"Last day? Taken away? Annie, what are you talking about?" Finnick asked, a slight note of panic evident in his voice.
"Finn, tomorrows May 1st. All 10 year olds are obligated report to the training academy on the 7th. I talked to father and they just changed the rules about the academy. Finn, you turn 13 this year, we're going to be in different years, which is IF we even make the academy. This year, you need to qualify to train at the academy" I cried.
"Annie, calm down please. I'm not going to be training with the 13 year olds, I'll be with you," Finnick assured me.
"How?" I asked, distress filling my voice.
"It's simple, really. The deadline date for the training academy is tomorrow, May 1st. Whatever age you are on that day dictates what year you are in. My birthday is May 2nd, putting me a year behind," he explained. I was utterly speechless at what he said. We would get to be together after all! "Okay Ann, now you explain about having to qualify for the academy. I thought everyone just got in. Even then, we don't have to if we don't want to. We choose to train or attend regular school"
"Well a new rule is being enforced this year. We just found out that District's 1 and 2 broke the uneasy alliance they had with us in the games. We no longer will be considered part of the career pack, though father didn't tell me why. A few peacekeepers argued, trying to jeep us together. They were unsuccessful and then started threatening people. Now the other districts are targeting us, they promised we would be the first to die. District 4 needs to only produce the strongest tributes into the games if we want a chance at winning," I explained.
I stared at Finnick, hoping for some flash of emotion to let me know what he was thinking. His face stayed blank but he motioned for me to continue. "Therefore, a new rule has been put in place this year. Every child between the ages of 12 and 18 must try out for the training academy. You only need to try out once though, if you make it, you're in permanently. If you don't make it, you cannot try again," I recited. "They figure it's the only way to beat the other districts and make an impression on the Capitol. That its our only chance to win"
For the first time in a few minutes, Finnick spoke. "There's one more thing you should know, Annie."
"Yes Finn?" "Since my birthday is on the 2nd and the reaping is on the 5th, I will be entered in the 63rd Hunger Games. And since training only starts on the 7th, I could be reaped and have to fight with no training or skills."

Hope you liked :D
If anything is confusing, just ask in the comments
~ Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley