Chapter 29

Broken Lovers

Chapter 29

"NOOO!" Kenzie cried, grabbing her brother's lifeless body and pulling him into her thin arms.

"Kenzie, come on! We need to go before the careers come back!" Janie hissed, placing a firm but comforting hand on her shoulder.

"No! I can't leave him! He's gonna wake up soon and when he does, he'll be scared. He'll need me!"

"Kenzie! He isn't going to wake up! He's dead!" Janie screamed.

Tears fell down Kenzie's face as she slowly let go of Trevor. "He isn't dead, he can't be. He's just sleeping. We need to get him down so when he wakes up, he'll be safe! I can't leave him!"

"Kenzie! There's no bringing him back, he's gone. We need to leave now, please! You need to let go," I whispered urgently.

In the blink of an eye, Kenzie had spun around and thrown herself into my arms. Her tiny chest racked with silent sobs as she clung to my chest, tears streaming down her face.

The song of the mockingjays above abruptly stopped, alerting us that the hovercraft was near.

I jumped up, Mackenzie still in clinging tightly to my neck, and began sprinting away from the career camp. Janie and I ran, Kenzie in my arms, in the direction of the Fallen City. We sprinted through the dark, dense, cool forest for over an hour before we found the city. The holographic sun beat down on the arena, making the desert like climate of the city even more miserable.

"Kenzie," I whispered into her ear. She had fallen asleep in my arms about half an hour ago. I was growing too attached to her. It hurt knowing in order to go home, she needed to die. I couldn't kill her, I would rather die myself.

"Finnick?" A soft voice called.

"Yea, Kenzie?"

"Where's Trevor?" She asked sleepily.

"He's sleeping, Kenzie. You'll see him soon, I promise," I whispered, feeling a sharp pain in my chest. It hurt to lie to her, but I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth. She nestled her head back into my chest slowly, her breathing slowing.

Janie and I made our way to our building, tiredly navigating our way through the rubbled buildings and shacks.

I lugged Kenzie, along with my pack, up multiple flights of stairs, feeling ready to collapse from exhaustion.

Upon arriving at our camp, I laid Kenzie down on one of the sleeping sets, wrapping her frail body in the sleeping bag. I immediately crawled in beside her, my eyelids as heavy as bricks. I pulled the tarp over myself and was fast asleep before my head hit the ground.

*Annie's PoV*

My eyes fluttered open to find myself in the dark basement that had been my home for the past few days. My friends were all fast asleep on the floor beside me, the 65th Hunger Games alive on the TV.

Tuning in, I found two tributes battling each other. Sword to spear, male to female, the District Partners battles each other to the death. Metal clanged as the boy skillfully defended himself from the bloodthirsty tribute attacking him. Lunging quickly, the District 6 girl delivered the death blow, jabbing her sword into the boys stomach. He fell limply to the ground, blood immediately forming a pool around the hole in his stomach. The girl wiped the blood off her sword with her shirt as the cannon sounded, finalizing the death of the District 6 male. With a smirk, she spun around, walking confidently away from the corpse of the boy she came with.

I shuddered, pulling the blanket I had up and over my shoulders. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to fall back asleep. Finnick was safe for now, almost every tribute in the arena was asleep. With the Career pack down to two, they didn't have the numbers to safely night hunt. That was the only brought me comfort and allowed me to drift off once again.

*Kenzie's PoV*

I awoke abruptly in another cold sweat. I snuggled deeper into my blanket, thrashing around restlessly. Every time I fell asleep, I dreamed of Trevor getting a spear through the stomach. Every time I close my eyes, my brothers death replayed in my head. This nightmare found me when Finnick put me down, and had been haunting me ever since.

Trevor wasn't with me now, but he would be soon. Finnick promised I would see him really soon, and that was the only thing that kept me from a mental breakdown. Tomorrow, we could go look for Trevor, he was probably at our old camp, looking for me. I mentally grinned, knowing I would see my brother soon. I only wish I had known then what price I needed to pay for that to happen.

---------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT A/N!!

At least read the second part please!!

Another chapter posted!!!! I am getting SO close to 1000 reads, it's insane. Please, share this story with your friends, family, anyone who will listen, and that creepy guy down the street. I really want 1K.

My original goal was 1000 by 50 parts, but I hopefully might get it in 30!

So I know a lot of stories now put up big threats for anyone who steals an idea from them. I am going to clear that up with my writing. I am okay with it, as long as its a small idea. You can't have a big one, like my take on how they met, or my character profiles, but you can have something small. Please message me before you take anything just so I can give you the okay :)

Love you all, like/ vote, and give your feedback on this chapter :)

~Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley