Chapter 18

Broken Lovers

Chapter 18

As soon as the peacekeepers dismiss us, I sprint to the doors of the Justice Hall. My four friends trail me through the doors and towards Finnick.

"Guys," Ariella said weakly, "I think it would be best if we went in individually. That way we each get more time with him."

"Annie, you go first. You will be his most emotional goodbye and we can't have him looking weak for the camera, he could lose sponsors," Lane suggests quietly.

I bite my quivering lip and nod slowly before asking the peacekeepers stationed at the door for entrance. They moved away from the door and motioned for me to enter. Slowly, I grabbed the cool metal doorknob and twisted it. I pushed the door open and met Finnick's tear filled eyes.

"You have three minutes," the man grunted before swinging the door shut.

No words were spoken as I ran to him. We fell back onto the couch , silent sobs racking both of our chests. We lied like that for a while, no words being spoken. Only enjoying our last moments together. Finally, we sat up again as it was almost time for me to leave.

"You need to win," I sobbed.

"I'll try," he replied quietly.

"No! I need more than that! Promise me that no matter what, you will come home to me!"

"Annie, I can't-"

"You can do this Finn. Please," I begged.

"I promise Annie, I will come home to you. I love you," he whispered.

He slowly leaned towards me, wrapping his hands around waist. He leaned in until our noses touched, his breath tickled my face. I closed my eyes and pulled him closer, our lips finally meeting. The kiss was soft and slow, it was full of passion. I never dreamed of kissing Finnick before, I thought we were only friends but after this, I definitely wanted more. I needed Finnick like I needed air. Always.

I finally pulled away, gasping for air. A broad grin spread across his face and he sighed deeply.

"I've been wanting to do that for 6 years," he laughed.

"Finn."

"Yea, Ann?"

"I love you too."

I leaned in and kissed him again. I need him to stay with me forever. If he dies, a piece of me goes with him.

The door bursts open and the peacekeepers come in.

"Times up."

I pull away, tears reforming in my eyes.

"I'm definitely coming back after that. I promise you, I will be back in a few weeks time. Wait for me?"

"Always," I whisper before I begin crying. I try to run back to him but the guards grab me.

"Finnick!" I scream. "Please come home! I need you to come home!"

The last time I will see Finnick is the way he is now, tears falling down his face, a peacekeeper restraining him from running to me.

The door slams shut and I am dragged back to my friends. Panic immediately sets over all of them after seeing me, desperate to figure out how to help me. The tears have stopped now, my body feels numb. It feels like my heart is slowly getting ripped out of my chest every minute we're apart, the sharper the pain in my chest gets. I'm being deprived of the one thing I need most. Finnick.

My friends come and go, each spending their allotted time with him.

Looking over, I notice no one is lined up at Janie's door. I slowly raise my body off the ground and stagger over to her door. The peacekeepers open the door, warning me about my time limit.

A look of confusion sweeps over her as I enter, she obviously wasn't expecting me. I slowly sit of the opposite end of the couch and look softly into her deep grey eyes.

"I need your help," I whisper.

"You want me to protect Finnick. To give my life to preserve his, don't you?" She asks immediately.

How did she know I wanted her to protect him?

"Only the first part. I could never ask you to give your life, your family would be devastated."

"I have no family. Both my parents are dead, I was their only child."

"I'm really sorry," I said, scooting a little bit closer to her.

"Annie, I will help you. I have no reason to come back to this hell hole. I live alone, I have no friends. You obviously love each other and you need him to come back. I will help bring him back."

Tears fill my eyes again and I move to hug her. She immediately wraps her arms around me and holds me together before I break. I owe her with all that I am and more.

"Thank you," I sob.

She doesn't respond, only pulls me closer.

The door is pulled open, signalling its time to leave. I pull away slowly, but clasp her hand in mine.

"I owe you big time Janie. Thanks again." I flash her a huge grin before walking out of the room.

I feel like a small weight has been lifted off my chest. It's my Finnick has to enter these horrid games, and I'm going to do everything in my power to get him back out.

Sorry for the short chapter, but I thought that was a good place to end. Just a heads up, I will be leaving to camp on Sunday (7) and won't be back till the 13th. That being said, there will be no updates while I am away due to my camps no electronic rule. I hope to put out at least one more chapter before I go.

Anyway, vote/like and leave feedback, it really means a lot.

~Annabeth Mockingjay Weasley