Chapter O (Omicron)

Chapter O (Omicron)

Beta held their end of the map up to the sun and looked at it at a bunch of different angles.

"We're lost," She said finally, giving up on looking at the map and throwing her hands down.

"No, were not," Epsilon said in a bored voice, secretly wondering if they had passed that same tree before. Everything in this forest looked the same.

"Yes, i think we should have turned back there." Beta said, pointing at a spot downhill, about a half mile away.

"You have got to be kidding me," Epsilon said. "We hiked up this hill only to turn back. Let me see the map." He said grabbing the map Beta held out for him. He studied it for a moment then looked forward then back behind him.

"Was I right?" Beta said.

"No," Epsilon said, his voice filled with dread. "We should have taken a turn back there." He concluded, pointing almost a mile back.

"Oh," Beta said, frowning.

"Yeah, I wish Gamma was here." Epsilon said. "That would make this a lot easier."

"I don't," Beta said. "Not after what she did last night."

"Oh, yeah." Epsilon said, turning back and walking back to their missed turn. "Now I wish she wasn't here either."

"No I take that back, she's not a bad person. It was just what she did." Beta said turning to follow Epsilon down the hill.

"Yeah," Epsilon said, studying the map.

"You know I didn't have a chance to thank you." Beta said. "For what?" Epsilon said, still fully absorbed by the map.

"Coming back through the portal to save me. I didn't know if you would come back."

"Of course I would." Epsilon said putting the map down. "I told you i'd never leave your side and I didn't." Beta smiled at that and kept walking. They walked together in silence for a few moments. They walked past the spot where they made the wrong turn and double checked the map. Then headed down the path. Then Beta turned and said.

"I'd do the same. For you, if that happened to you."

"Thanks, I know you would." They contuned walking down the path they hoped lead to the destination they needed to go. They walked in silence, stealing quick glances at each other. They didn't have walk far until they got to an abandoned shack in the middle of no where. They ran up to a log and hid behind it, peering out behind it at the building.

"This looks like the place." Beta said.

"Yep, fits the profile." Epsilon replied. "You ready?" She didn't answer but leapt over the log and ran for the building. "Well, someone is in a hurry." Epsilon said, running to catch up.