Prologue

Prologue

Gamma heard the loud splash as her feet hit the soft mud beneath her. She instantly sunk her foot into the mud and took off sprinting. She felt rain and mud splash on her face as she sprinted faster through a large wooded area. She weaved in and out of trees that seemed to materialize out of nowhere in the thick darkness that engulfed her.

She felt a large branch flip up and strike her face. She pushed it aside and continued running, not letting that slow her down. She felt a small drip of blood drop from her cheek before the cut healed itself over in a matter of seconds. She dodged another tree and then jumped over a fallen one then rolling to her feet and continued running.

There was a loud crack to her left as the bark on a tree exploded into small splinters. Gamma shielded her eyes and turned in the opposite direction. She heard several small cracks in the air as bark exploded all around her. Her curse words were drowned out by the sound of shots being fired too close for Gamma's comfort.

She weaved in and out of trees, not knowing where she was going but determined to get as far away from the person currently shooting at her. She felt serge of adrenaline spike through her veins and used it to run faster. She could hear footsteps behind her and knew her pursuer was close.

Instinct kicked in and a small green mist floated a few feet above the ground several feet in front of Gamma. The mist was no larger than a large rock but Gamma ran towards it anyway. She felt it hit her and pass through her body. She turned and saw it fade away behind her as she ran farther and farther away.

Not knowing what else to do, she tried again and again. Only to see the small fogs not large enough to form portals. She quickly stopped, only realizing the portals would instantly give away her position and help her hunter track her. Breathless, she ran on.

She cursed the drug as she felt it in her system dozens of times earlier. It disabled her ability to create portals. She had only experienced it a few times before and knew it wore off after a few minutes but right now it would be the worst few minutes of her life.

Another sharp crack sounded in the air around her and Gamma instantly felt a searing pain in her left leg. Too late to stop herself, she took another step on it and lost her balance, falling into the dark forest floor below her. Her leg howled in pain for a moment but healed over in a matter of seconds, the wound closing and the pain subsiding.

She tried to get up and run again but she heard footsteps very close to her own position. She saw a figure emerge from the darkness and walk towards her. It walked directly towards her and stood in front of her.

"Who are you?!" she demanded at the figure. It didn't say anything; it just stood there staring at Gamma. The moonlight shown on its face and Gamma gasped.

"You? What are you doing here? Why are you shooting at me?" The man didn't respond at first. He just raised a gun and aimed it at Gamma, which Gamma noticed was odd as the person holding the weapon had never before held one and vowed never to.

"Time for you to go Gamma," Epsilon said with a hint of a smile visible only in the moonlight.