Chapter Sigma *New*

Thinking of changing the title to 'Prometheus.' Any thoughts?

Chapter Sigma

Alpha, Epsilon and Shadow stood silently, invisible to the eye. They had leaned against the side walls, trying to displace part of their visible shadows. They waited in their current position for several minutes before they heard footsteps approaching down the hallway. They waited and listened. It sounded like only one pair of footsteps but they were ready for both of them anyway.

The group tensed, knowing that if the plan went right, it might be the last battle they would ever have to fight. They would never have to wake up in the morning wondering if that was the last time they would have to wake up. They each took in a deep breath, each feeling the anxiety of the others. Beta, Gamma, and Omega were feeling the same way. Alpha's heart pounded in his chest, almost to the rhythm of the approaching footsteps.

"Beta," Epsilon thought, whispering even though the thought wouldn't have been heard by unwanted ears anyway.

"I'm here," her voice responded. "Alright everyone, get ready." The three men held their breath as the footsteps grew nearer. A small unseen smile grew on Epsilon's face as he saw the shadows of the two approaching. They finally turned the corner and the team saw Chase run into the room with Penny floating a few feet in the air behind him. They turned the corner cautiously before running down what they thought was an empty hallway.

A small red line suddenly appeared on the ground and the walls in a square shape. Alpha knew that it was another mind trick of Beta's and also his cue. There was a small timer a few centimeters to the side of the line, counting down fast. Alpha quickly placed a hand on the wall and channeled his energy. The counter quickly counted down to zero. That's when the Titans moved in.

A bright light shone where the lines met, stopping Chase and Penny in their tracks and forcing them to cover their eyes. The light dimmed as a section of the wall jetted straight out and headed for the other side, closing like a sliding door. Epsilon sprung into action and started sprinting towards the door, determined to get through right as the door slammed shut. He reached the door and jumped sideways, feeling the door scratch against the side of the blade on his wrist as he barely squeezed through. The door slammed shut with a resounding crash, right in between Chase and Penny, effortlessly splitting the team.

"Gamma," Epsilon thought quickly, still running. He projected a mental image in his mind to her and heard a small conformation she was ready. It was a good thing too because there was no time for her not to be prepared. A split second later, Epsilon slammed into Penny, kicking her hard with his outstretched foot, sending her backwards, still floating in the air several meters. Unbeknownst to her, she was on a collision course with a green fog behind her. She had no idea until her vision was obscured by green and she reappeared in a large circular room. She looked around the room for a moment and cursed.

Chase was in the same boat. Before he could turn back, he was struck by an unknown force. He heard movement again and teleported across the room to what he hoped was safety. It wasn't. A second later, he felt a kick on his ribs. He clutched his waist and hunched over, before he was pushed from behind over on to the floor. A shadow appeared over him as Shadow reappeared.

"It's nothing personal," Shadow said. "You just stand between us and freedom."

"Funny," Chase replied. "I feel the same way." He finished, vanishing from his current position. He reappeared behind Shadow and kicked him square in the back, pushing Shadow down. Chase's victory was short lived however, as two invisible forces attacked him from both sides again. He teleported backwards to safety and quickly contacted Penny.

"Little help over here," Penny said the moment they made contact. Chase was about to respond but heard a rush of wind and ducked as a blow struck above his head.