Chapter Tau

Chapter Tau

A breeze of warm fresh air hit the Titans head on for the first time in their lives. A sound that they had only heard about but never experienced now filled their ears. The entire experience now over whelming their senses. The feeling of warmth, the soft sounds, the smells and the beauty that stood before them.

It was an experience they had never before felt in their entire lives. Just trying to take it all it was becoming overwhelming to them. They couldn't even fathom what they had just seen. All of them stood there, unmoving and speechless, not even knowing what to do.

Gamma stepped forward first, not even cautiously, not even checking if there was anyone around to see them. She quickly slipped out of her shoes and felt for the first time the grass between her feet. She quickly let out a long sigh of relaxation. It was better than she had imagined. She almost wanted to fall back into the grass and just lie there forever.

The Titans looked around at the world in front of them. There was a long plain of long flowing green grass, the sun from above illuminating it and causing it to turn a greater shade of green. The sun was something they had only seen computer rendered versions of and lived their entire lives in artificial light. There were trees lining the horizon line, leaves red with the changing of seasons. There were even birds, flying high but still slightly visible, their black bodies on the light blue surface above them.

The rest of the team quickly walked out into the grass, taken aback quickly by the fact the ground was soft. The soil depressed when their shoes touched. It was a new concept to them. They had always been in areas where the ground was a cement structure or another hard surface. They just stood there basking in the glow of the warmth. They heard the birds chirping and the grass swaying.

Alpha looked up and traced the sky with his head, watching it expand over the tree line and follow his head as he looked directly up and turned to look behind him. That was when everything went south.

“Guys,” he said softly, as if all hope in humanity had been crushed to bits. It might as well have been for them. Finding an outside world was their sanctuary, their freedom. Nothing could have made them happier.

“Alpha just shut up and enjoy the freedom. We are finally outside!” Gamma said, leaping into the air with joy. Any slight problem Alpha would find would have been nothing compared to being outside.

“No I really think you need to see this,” Alpha said from behind Gamma. The rest of the team looked back and had their hearts shattered.

“No, I really think you need to shut,” Gamma started to say before Beta grabbed her by the shoulders and flipped her around. The joy in Gamma's eyes faltered before they were replaced by anger and hate.

What Alpha had seen had devastated the entire team. The door were they had just exited had closed behind them seamlessly into a large wall at domed over in front of them. The grass, trees, and sky line horizon was only painted on and very realistically at that. The only way you would have been able to tell it was fake was by looking at it up close and realizing it was a dome rather than natures own beauty. Gamma scanned around the wall to see if there was a break but quickly realized there wasn’t. They weren't outside, but they weren’t inside either.

The grass and breeze however were real. They could feel living grass beneath their feet, growing very slowly but nevertheless alive. Gamma looked between the grass, the dome, the door and then back to the dome.

“CRAP!” Gamma's thoughts echoed through the teams brains as her curse resounded loudly. The rest of the team agreed however. They all felt the same way.