Counting all my mistakes and there's only one standing up on the list

Savannah

Paralyzed.

That is how I feel right now, watching him walk away from me as I stand quietly in a state of numbness. With arms hanging limply beside my body and tears falling silently from my eyes, I sit on the ground and let out a soft sigh.

It hurts. My whole body hurts. My heart hurts. What surprises me is that there was nothing I could say to stop him. I don't know what happened to me but it was like my tongue was tied; I knew what I wanted to say to him but I couldn't get the words out.

Why didn't you stop him? Why did you let him go? Why didn't you say the words? Why didn't you tell him that you love him and you would never hurt him?

These questions have been constantly gnawing at me like stabbing knives, piercing and impaling again and again and there is nothing I can do to save myself.

Or save the man you love more than anything.

A loud sob escapes my mouth and I cover my face with my hands, crying my heart out. It is not until when the sound of the main door closing comes that I realize that Harry just left. I get up swiftly and run down the staircase, almost tripping on the last step in an attempt to stop him. Just when I'm about to open the door, I'm struck with the possibility that there might be people outside or if anyone saw me in this state then they'll know that something's wrong. And I can't let that happen, I can't let anyone see our relationship on the verge of tearing apart when we've tried so hard to keep it strong.

But, Harry..

I lean my forehead against the door and whisper, "Come back to me.. Please, please come back.."

If he comes back, I'll tell him everything. I'll let him know how much he means to me and that the bet had nothing to do with how I feel for him. I'll tell him that I love him.

But, he never comes.

----------

I get in a cab with the best possible confidence to make people seem like I'm doing perfectly fine and go back to Torrance to meet the one person who can make me feel the slightest bit better about myself.

Throughout the ride, I manage to smile my way through as the elderly driver excitedly asks questions about Harry and how things are between us. He drones on and on about how it's like being in love and even confesses that he wishes for us to be together till we're grey and old. There are times when it gets hard to simply breathe by just hearing his name, but I keep a straight face.

It is when the door opens and I see Hazel's familiar face eyeing me carefully with concern that I break down.

"Savannah..?" She whispers, as if not quite believing my presence.

"I lost him." I say in a muffled voice followed by a hiccup. "I lost him."

She immediately pulls me in a tight hug, holding me strongly. "Shh, it's okay.. Calm down.." I start crying even more with hiccups and weird noises that'd make anyone feel scared. She only holds me closely, and honestly it's her grip on me that is not letting me fall down.