Away into the Woods

Clouds covered the sky, signaling that it would rain later. You only hoped that it would rain after you got back from the cave, if you got back for that matter. Crossing your arms against your chest, you turned around to see Lucian closing and locking the door behind him. When he finished, he walked down the steps until he reached you. He signaled you to continue down the path. Once the two of you reached the gate, it opened creakily, allowing passage through it. Leaving the mansion and courtyard behind, you ventured into the surrounding woods.

The dark trees allowed very little light into the forest, which was already scarce due to the cloud cover, casting a dark atmosphere over the woods. Traveling down the forest path, you felt yourself examining the trees for those glowing green eyes again. Passing under the tree arch only increased your fear. Lucian seemed to notice your paranoia and rested his hand on your shoulder.

"My pet, trust me to protect you. You're worrying too much."

"But the last time I came through here, I saw glowing green eyes. How am I not supposed to be concerned about that?"

"Are you talking about those green eyes?" he stated, his gaze locked on something in the forest.

Fearfully, you followed his gaze and saw the eyes once more. Your hands slightly trembled, as you clutched the ends of your dress tightly. Looking up at Lucian, you saw that he merely just smiled at you before he began to walk towards the eyes. When he disappeared into the trees and the eyes vanished as well, worry took over you. You didn't exactly like Lucian, but you didn't want him to die either. Taking a breath in and then exhaling it, you stepped towards where the eyes previously were. However, you stopped in your tracks when they returned.

Lucian came out of the trees as well, leading the eyes out. In fact you could now see what the eyes were attached to. Out of the trees came a greenish-blue deer with antlers made out of polished white stone. Its eyes glowed brightly, as its jaw hung loosely open; the jaw only hanging on by thin strands of fleshly skin. Soon the deer only stood a few inches from you. Glancing up at Lucian, he nodded in response. Nervously, you held out your hand and gently placed it on the creature's head. Petting the deer's head, you found yourself smiling lightly. Despite its somewhat disturbing appearance, it was also enchanting. The creature walked closer to you and nuzzled your cheek gently. This caused you to laugh due to its hair tickling you. Despite its shy nature at first, the animal was rather affectionate.

"What is it called?" you questioned, looking over at Lucian, as the deer continued to nuzzle your cheek.

"It's called a caeruld. As you can see, the animal is quite harmless. Of course it will charge if you try to harm it or its young."

Nodding in response, you pet the deer some more before its ears twitched a little. It looked off into the trees before casting one last glance at you. After giving you an affectionate nudge, it ran off into the trees, leaving you alone once again with Lucian.

"Shall we continue onward?"

"Yeah, I guess. I want to get this over with."

He merely gave you an understanding look, before walking down the road with you. A quiet wind blew some leaves across your path while a few birds made various calls in the woods. However, these calls were eerily calm, as if they understood where you were going. Trying to keep your nerves at bay, you thought about the comforting caeruld. Smiling lightly at the memory, you pressed onwards.

You had no idea how much time had passed. However, you did notice that the two of you were now deep in the forest. Awhile back Lucian had led you down a narrow side path that you normally wouldn't have seen unless you observed the road closely. As you moved further into the heart of the forest, you took notice of the darkening trees and the dead leaves that covered the surrounding ground. A cold breeze rolled by through the trees, sending a shiver down your spine. The metal of the bracelet that Lucian gave you felt rather cold against your skin and you longed to take it off, but you knew that wasn't an option.

Hugging yourself, you tried to keep yourself warm, but the forest was becoming increasingly cold despite it being summer. Though, soon you felt something fall on your shoulders. Purple and gold fabric cascaded down your arms, protecting you from the cold. Lucian's coat felt quite warm.

Blushing lightly at the action, you mumbled, "Thank you."

"You're very welcome my pet."

His lips brushed lightly over your left cheek before he stepped away from you and waited for you to continue down the walkway. Your cheeks increased in color, as you looked down at your feet and pressed onwards. Holding onto the jacket, you let it warm you up. You couldn't help, but appreciate Lucian's consideration. Though, something told you still not to entirely trust him. Maybe it was his earlier behavior, or the fact that he was hiding information from you. Either way, you still felt a dark presence around him. Even at the moment, you could feel his haunting gaze locked on you like you were his prey.

Only a few more minutes passed before you came to the end of the path. A stream rolled on quietly in front of you, its bright waters sparkling under the minimal light that penetrated the thick tree covering. On the other side of the stream lay three stones in a curious position. There was no doubt that the cave entrance rested within those rocks. Panic tugged at your mind, but you held your ground. Lucian came up behind you and stared up ahead at the rocks.

"Stay still, we have a guest. I think we should attend to it before we enter."

Hearing his words, you froze and examined the area around you. To your horror, you saw a something in the trees. At first you couldn't decipher its appearance, but soon you noticed its terrifying features. The creature had four hands, two replacing the monster's feet. A faceless head with a stitched mouth rested on the shoulders of the being. Stitches closed the large cut that ran down the monster's chest. It looked to be about 5'7, as it came out of the trees. Its pale skin contrasted greatly against the crimson cuts that covered its body. Your breath caught in your throat when it suddenly charged at you. You couldn't run, as your body stood petrified in terror. Lucian held out his left arm in front of you. When the creature should've impacted you, it instead hit an invisible wall.

Falling to the ground, it looked up at you confused before it cast its eyeless gaze at Lucian. Even though the creature had no eyes or nose, you could tell that it was angered by Lucian's interference. Getting on its feet, it instead ran at him. The creature hit another invisible wall. Walking up to the creature on the floor, Lucian created a spear of ice and thrust it into the creature's chest. It writhed on the ground in pain, as ice took over its body. Not a moment later was the monster frozen solid. However, when you went to inspect the dead being, Lucian signaled you to stop.

To your surprise the gash on the creature's chest melted the ice, as the stitches came undone. Tiny pale hands emerged from the inside of the cut. A pale head came next, as the thing crawled out of the wound. When its small legs could be seen, Lucian summoned another ice spear and stabbed it into the head of the being. Like the creature before, the small monster became an ice sculpture. Bringing his foot down, Lucian shattered the small creature as well as the larger one.

"Now we can head into the cave," Lucian stated, glancing over at you.

Trailing behind him, you gave one last look at the pile of ice. It was quickly melting, revealing the pieces of destroyed flesh and organs. Before you focused your attention elsewhere, you saw the bits of the two creatures melt into nothingness. Quite glad to see it gone, you went over to Lucian, who was waiting by the cave entrance. All remained silent in the forest except for the stream's waters behind you and the quiet breathing of you two. Though, your breath seemed to be quickening, as your eyes peered into the cave. So far you could only see darkness waiting for you.

Looking over at Lucian, you saw him peering into the cave as well. However, he soon mumbled something under his breath and a small ball of light formed in his hands. He threw it into the cave where it hovered in place, as if waiting for its master to follow. With the light illuminating the cave, you could see the rocky wall and dirt path that led downwards into the unknown. Your heartbeat quickened, as Lucian signaled you to enter. Holding tighter onto Lucian's jacket, you went into the cave. Lucian went in after you, as the light floated in the air, guiding you both down the path.

At least the light was comforting in the foreign cave. Continuing down the path, you noted the unnerving silence. Though, you remained calm and kept your focus on the walkway in front of you. Up ahead the path widened, forming a sort of circular chamber. Entering the space, you observed the area, noting the singular road that lay on the other side of the chamber. About to step forward you heard a sort of clicking sound. It resonated throughout the space, with it growing louder with each passing second. You glanced over at Lucian to see if he knew what it was. His purple eyes narrowed at the sound, as he pulled you over to him. Wrapping his arms around you, he tightened his grip on you.

"Now my pet no matter what you see, you must not make a sound or move. Moreover, don't close your eyes. You will have to endure whatever you witness, do you understand?" he whispered into your left ear.

"Why, what's coming?"

"That's not important. Now do you understand?"

Biting your lip in nervousness, you nodded. Lucian smiled at your response before resting his chin on your head. You could feel your heart pounding in your chest, as the thing neared. Though, surprisingly you found yourself feeling safe in Lucian's arms. His dark presence was still there, but you still felt comforted by him holding you. What was happening to you? It had to be that he was casting some magic on you. However, was that really true, or were you just trying to justify something that tugged at the corners of your heart? Your mind became rattled with questions, but those questions halted when the being finally made itself apparent in the chamber.