Syrup and Sugar

With the book in your hands, you followed Lucian out of the room and into the hallway. You could see the light of the chandelier up ahead. Its light traveled down the dark hallway, illuminating the various doors in the passageway. Your boots clicked against the tiled hall while your simple black dress flowed around your figure perfectly. While walking towards the dining hall, you flipped the book open to a random page. The pages of the book looked antique, yet at the same time brand new. However, when your eyes glanced over the page, you immediately slammed the book shut.

The sound of the book closing echoed down the quiet hallway. Lucian looked over his shoulder and stopped his movement, as an expression of worry crossed his face. Your fingers trembled lightly while fear filled your (e/c) eyes. What was that creature that you saw on the page? You had only seen it for a mere second and that was enough to terrify you. Would that creature be in the woods, would you have to fight that thing beyond the barrier? Just the thought of facing that thing directly made your blood run cold. Two hands stole the book from you and pages flipped once more. Looking at your feet, you waited for Lucian to close the book.

"My pet, what did you see? Surely there's nothing too horrible in this book."

"That's because you've probably dealt with the things in that book before. Of course you wouldn't find them terrifying."

"What did you see?" he questioned again, sighing in the process.

You took the book from his hands and searched through the book. Your fingers still trembled, but you pressed on. Soon the page from before appeared and you felt the color in your face drain from you. Quickly, you turned the book, so Lucian could get a better look at the creature. On the page was the drawing of a creature that had its skin stretched to its limit and was the color of stone grey blue. Its massive black eyes paid no beauty to its gaping hole for a mouth, which was filled with tiny metallic teeth. Moreover, tiny knife-like hands only made the creature look more murderous. Insect wings grew of its back while some sort of flesh hung from the creature's mouth. One blue metallic ear was on each side of the creature's head.

"Ah, I see. Yes, the pixalins are quite dreadful creatures, but the chances of you encountering one are very slim. They are only found in the Caves of Fenbaran, which we will never travel to. None of the mask pieces can be found there."

"Well, that's a relief," you stated, closing the book once again.

Lucian smiled lightly before continuing down the hall. Holding the book at your side, you decided to not glance upon its pages for the remaining portion of the day. The last thing you wanted was to gaze upon another blood chilling creature. Soon the two of you reached the dining hall. Entering the dining room, you noticed that the chandeliers were not lit, since light poured in through the windows. It wasn't exactly sunny outside, but the slightly cloudy sky provided enough light for the room. Taking the seats from last night, the two of you waited for breakfast. As you waited, you set the book on the chair beside you. This time Lucian tapped against the table. In a matter of seconds multiple plates appeared in front of you. Both of you had your own plate. However, each plate was vacant of food. Though, in between you two were several dishes. One was stacked with fresh pancakes topped with powdered sugar and syrup while berries rested on the side of the plate. Another dish had sausages while the other had cut up peaches on it.

"Lucian how exactly do you make the food just appear on the table?"

"It's simple; I have some of my dolls cook the food in the kitchen. Once it is prepared, I summon it to the table. Of course I have to tell them what time the meals are to be served at," he stated, as he placed food onto your plate.

Merely nodding in understanding, you watched as he set some food on his own plate. As you grabbed your fork, you didn't realize that your right dress sleeve fell into some of the syrup that dripped from the pancakes. However, you soon noticed the sugary substance on your article of clothing. Slightly annoyed at yourself for being so careless, you grabbed your napkin in an attempt to wipe it off. You weren't surprised when the napkin failed at its task. A light chuckle reached your ears, making you turn to look at Lucian. A smirk graced his face while he got out of his chair. Grabbing your right arm, he lifted your arm up a little, examining the sleeve in the process.

"You need to be more careful my pet. Thankfully, this is a simple fix."

Not finding a good argument to make, you kept quiet and waited for him to release your arm. He waved his left hand over the syrup stained sleeve. Soon after, the stain disappeared, leaving a perfectly clean dress sleeve. When he finished, he smiled at you before returning to his seat. As he bit into his food, you rolled up your sleeves not wanting to dip them into syrup again. The two of you ate in silence, which slightly unnerved you. Taking a quick glance at Lucian, you noticed the far off expression he had on his face. It freaked you out to say the least, since he held his fork in suspension over his plate of food like he was frozen in time.

"Lucian," you hesitantly called out.

Not a moment later he snapped out of his daze like state. His purple eyes softened, but they still had a strange look to them. When his gaze fell on you, the foreign look vanished completely.

"Ah, I'm sorry my pet. I seemed to have spaced out for a moment there. Please forgive me if I worried you."

"I don't know if worry would be the correct word," you mumbled to yourself.

"What did you say," he asked, genuinely curious.

"Don't worry about it."

At first you thought he was going to question you further, but he only nodded. Something was definitely wrong with him. Maybe the trip to retrieve the mask worried him, but what did he have to worry about? He wasn't the one who had to travel into unknown territory and possibly face monsters. Honestly, the man's behavior just puzzled you, yet frightened you at the same time. You began to wonder what exactly he was thinking, but would it really be in your benefit to find out? Personally, you didn't want to set off any triggers. Keeping your curiosity at bay, you finished your food and took a sip of your orange juice.

Before you knew what was happening, you watched as Lucian abruptly got out of his chair, knocking it over in the process. The action startled you and you eyed him, as worry filled your being. To your relief he didn't head in your direction, but rather exited the dining room in a hurry. You just sat in your chair, thoroughly confused. Not knowing what to do, you remained in your seat and continued to sip at your drink. After five minutes had passed, Lucian still had not returned.

This time curiosity got the better of you and you got out of your chair, heading for the dining room doors. Exiting the room, you glanced around the foyer for any sign of Lucian. To your surprise, he was sitting against the statue with the candelabra. His long raven black hair covered his face, making his facial expression unreadable. All your instincts told you to retreat back into the dining hall, but instead you felt yourself moving forward. When you tried to stop your legs, you found yourself unable to do so. Soon you were positioned right in front of Lucian. No longer did his hair cover his purple eyes, which stared up at you longingly. Not a second later, he grabbed your wrists and pulled you into his arms. You sat awkwardly on his lap, as he nuzzled into your neck. Your cheeks became heated while you tried to push him off of you. However, you couldn't free yourself. Knowing you couldn't get him off of you, you turned away from him and continued to blush lightly. Though, a puzzling thought entered your mind.

Right as you were about to ask him the question, he placed his left index finger over your lips, signaling you to be quiet. Suddenly, you had the urge to back away from him, but he held you in place. His eyes searched your own until he turned his head to the side. Within moments, you found yourself standing along with Lucian. Turning his focus back onto you, he released his grip on you.

"Shall we head out?"

You were not given time to answer, since the brown-haired doll walked into the foyer. She handed Lucian a small silver and purple pouch before she walked up the stairs and disappeared. Lucian tied the pouch to a black belt, which you had just noticed that he was wearing. Walking up to you, he smiled down at you.

"You never answered my question."

"Yeah, I guess, but won't I need a weapon or something to defend myself with."

"Yes, but only when you pass the barrier until then I am your protection. Is that not to your satisfaction?"

"I guess I would just like to defend myself."

"My pet, do not worry yourself about such things until after the barrier."

Resting his hands on your shoulders, he lowered his face to your level. A blush swept across your face due to the lack of distance between you two. Noticing this, he smirked and rested his chin on the top of your head. This action caused you to be pulled closer to him. His grip on your shoulders tightened, as he breathed lightly.

"Just let me protect you for as long as I can. You're more precious to me than you know. I have too many plans for you," he stated.

A small chill ran up your back, as the last words left his mouth. At first his tone was comforting and sweet, but at the end it morphed into something dark and obsessive. Moreover, you were still confused on Lucian's behavior from earlier. Why was he acting so strange? However, you had no more time to ponder the question due to the sound of the front doors opening. You hadn't even noticed that Lucian had pulled away from you, since you were lost in thought. Lucian waited by the door, allowing you to exit the building first. His haunting eyes followed you like a hawk, as you walked into the courtyard. For how could he protect you, if he didn't watch your every move?