Chapter Eleven: Toys can wait, but education can't

Apologies for the late update, again. I wish I can take a break.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eleven: Toys can wait, but education can't

"Do you have any other commitments?"

I was kind of sweating because Caleb was pretty serious in interviewing me for my membership in debate club. It didn't seem like the real him.

"I uhmm... So far this is the only organization I have joined. Well aside from academics I have a part time job. That's all."

"On a scale of 1-10, how committed will you be for this?"

"I'll probably give a 9 because of course, I want to be committed on something I wanted to join in the first place, right? But I couldn't give a perfect 10 because I need to maintain a good grade too."

He scribbled everything I have said on his notebook. Normally I should be confident in answering interviews because I aspired to be a lawyer, right? Lawyers should possess outstanding confidence. But seeing Caleb serious is one different thing.

"Okay." Caleb nodded and asked again. "What makes you different from other applicants?"

That's a really difficult question because what makes me different anyway? No matter how smart you are there would be someone smarter than you. No matter how skillful you are there would be someone more skillful than you. The thing is, the world is too big but too small at the same time.

"Uhm, I uhmm... I am a person who's confident, and independent. I would do my best in everything I ought to do. I am never a quitter, nor someone who would back down from a fight. Moreover, in regards to debating, I would think outside the box and would articulately speak them."

Caleb raised his eyebrows and seemed to be satisfied with what I said. Afterwards, he gave a mischievous smile which made me confused.

"Are you ready for the last question?"

I crossed my eyebrows, wondering why he had to ask that. "Yes."

"Okay. So would you choose the person you love or the person who loves you? And why?"

This was actually the weirdest question in the whole interview process, and somehow it was easy for me to answer judging my experiences from the past. It's quite obvious, right? But why anyway?

"I would choose the person I love because..." Why did I choose Finn over Marc? Why? "Because... I want to love truly. I want to love someone because I really love him and not because I just feel like reciprocating it."

Caleb only gave a chuckle which made me even more confused, but good thing though that it's the last question.

"Thanks Jessamine, we'll contact you if you're qualified for being a part of the Debate Club."

I smiled back at him and thanked him repeatedly. He did find my politeness amusing though.

"Anyway Caleb, can we erase the professionalism now?" The ambience became lighter after the interview.

Caleb fixed his notepads and waited for me to speak up which was my cue.

"You were too serious I thought I was going to fail."

"You thought I was serious?" Caleb smirked and looked at me straight in the eyes. "You've never seen the serious me yet but it doesn't matter anyway."